Our sweet Henry Allen Greenstreet was born on March 25th at 7:58 a.m. While he is our fourth baby in so many ways his birth was full of first time experiences.
For starters his birth was a SCHEDULED c-section. We KNEW the date we would have a baby! We even knew the time (surgery was scheduled for 7:30 so we knew it would be before 8 a.m.). In the weeks leading up to his birth I was both calmed and made anxious by knowing the date of the surgery. While I was excited to have the baby with us and not be pregnant any more I was anxious about the surgery. I was very well prepared (mentally) for what a c-section and its recovery entails and I wasn't exactly excited about that portion......but I tried to focus on the excitement to have our little man.
Secondly this was the least dramatic of all pregnancies I've had. I was pleasantly surprised at each appointment to check out all well. I never needed non-stress tests or multiple appointments each week. No extra visits to labor and delivery and no extra lab tests. I was in a constant state of disbelief at how smoothly it was really all running. I was lovely to have a "boring" pregnancy.
I was sure this baby would be our biggest- after all it was my ribs he was moving. My guess was 7 lbs 3 oz and 19 inches. (It's almost scary how close I was!) We arrived at 5:30 a.m. on March 25th. It was cool and springy outside. I was registered and set up to get ready for surgery. This was the first time every someone had a hard time getting an IV going in my hand. The nurse had to move the location twice and that was not my favorite part. Blood drawn. Funny socks on. Mike had his paper gown and instructions on where to wait for the nurse to come get him. (WHY is this the system I will never know). I walked to the operating room enjoying the last couple moments of pregnancy. Grateful for how well it had all gone so far. Grateful to be full term. Grateful to have a baby I would be taking home with me when I left the hospital.
The spinal as usual is the most stressful part for me. It makes me nervous that the anesthesiologist (same one I had for Scott by the way) is talking about skiing and Olympics while he is putting things in my spine. The medical student assigned to be his helper (holder of my shoulders so my back is nice and curved for the anesthesiologist) would literally not stop talking. Maybe this constant chatter relaxes some people. I would prefer silence while people are numbing 75% of my body.....but that's just me. I started feeling nauseous pretty quickly this time and was thankful for quick medicine to help. Finally the doctor was in and the sheet was hung and then my sweetie came to sit by me. Only moments later- cries filled the room and the doctor hung Henry's little body over the sheet so I could see him (dripping all sorts of blood and fluid on me). He was Henry. I wouldn't agree to a name til I saw him but his sweet little face practically demanded the name. Mike brought him to see me and told me he weighed 7 lbs 1 oz and was 19 inches long. Just like that the boys were gone and I was being sewn up. Mike drifted back and forth from the nursery to me in recovery so I could see pictures. People pushed on my belly and I was thankful I couldn't feel it.
After a couple hours Henry finally joined us in my room. He was a little "grunty" after being born (which I guess they watch in case he has fluid in his lungs). He was as sweet as he could be and shortly after he joined us the kids came to meet him. There really is nothing like having your older kids meet a new baby. The feeling is priceless. They have a club almost and when they meet a new sibling it's almost like they're there to say "hey buddy, welcome to our club!" All of them were thrilled with him. As were we. He is the perfect little caboose to our family!
 |
| Literally his first seconds- not even detached from me yet....(I'm under the blue sheet) |
 |
| Puffy newborn face |
 |
| Proud Daddy |
 |
| Must feel good to stretch out after being balled up. |
 |
| Hello there |
 |
| So thrilled to add another minion to his throng |
 |
| This picture is blury but it is the most hilarious picture I've ever seen. The look on Scott's face is priceless and Henry being almost upside down is just a perfect prelude to what life as the fourth child will bring. |
 |
| You have never seen a prouder big sister. Ever. |
 |
| His hands are always at his mouth. He loves to be held upright. He loves to be held. He mostly loves Mama to hold him but he was content in this moment with Daddy. |
5 comments:
very darling pictures. Congrats on the sweet baby and uneventful pregnancy! Happy for you and your family.
Congratuations! He is such a sweet little blonde guy!
what a great picture of the 3rd and 4th kids! :) Glad you're back.
So awesome that your pregnancies got easier and babies bigger! So happy for you Brooke. He's such a cute little man.
Oh man! I don't do face book my children should have told me you were back. I've missed you Greenstreet family. I knew about baby Henry but it's just so much nicer to see pictures. You have a wonderful family. I'll be a faithful reader. Take care Love to ALL. Aunt Jere
Post a Comment