Thursday, March 3, 2011

Four and Fabulous




I know that every post about my children aging includes me saying I can't believe they are however old they are. But, I really can't. It feels like just yesterday this little guy was swaddled up and asleep on the couch and my goal every day was to keep his sister from sitting on him when he was in his bouncy seat.

My oh my how the times have changed.

Andrew got a card from his Primary teacher wishing him a happy birthday. She said she was so happy to have such a smart and "spirited" boy in her class. I thought spirited was a good word to use when describing Andrew.

At 4 years old he weighs only 26 lbs but you have really never seen a smaller person with more spunk. This kid is larger than life. Every day he does something new that makes me laugh and makes me wonder where he came from. I have spent equal amounts of time in sheer exasperation from him and in stitches from laughter because of something he said or a facial expression that made me laugh. Even though he can truly be the most pesky brother in the whole world he has a heart of gold for his sister. I've seen him stick up for Emma more than once and I'm just so proud of him when he does. A couple of weeks ago I was trying to get Emma to take some cold medicine before bed. In general I don't give my kids cold medicine but Emma needed some help with all of her symptoms of cold and I knew she needed some sleep so I wanted to give her some. Well, she's not a fan of any medicine at all. Andrew volunteered to take the medicine first. I let him have a tiny bit. He said to Emma "ask me if it was bad I just had some." She asked him and he said "oh it was fine, not bad at all." I finally talked her into trying the medicine and he walked across the room to where she was standing, took her by the hand and said "okay, let's do this." I laughed at what he said but I was so proud of his patience and willingness to do whatever she needed to feel good.

Andrew has more energy than anyone else alive. I'm convinced if we lived in a climate where he truly couldn't play outside he would go nuts. Riding his bike or scooter or going to the playground are NECESSITIES for this kid. If it doesn't happen every day he starts scaling the walls.

My sisters (the two that are here) took Emma out with them yesterday to run some errands and I got to have a couple hours at home with just Andrew. It was such a treat to have him all to myself. We played 4 rounds of Thomas' Numbers Game, snuggled on the couch and rested together, built some automoblox together and then he helped me tidy up all the toys. Andrew entertained me with such fabulous conversations such as this one.
A: Mom, before I was born did I live in your belly?
Me: yep, until you were born.
A: Oh, I didn't really like it in there.
Me: Oh really? Why is that?
A: Because everytime you ate you got food all over me.

I know I've mentioned before that Andrew often mentions that my baby is getting bigger everyday. Well, Sunday I was filling up the tub for him and I was bent over the bathtub picking up the toys Emma had just used. Andrew walked up to me and rubbed by backside and said "wow, Mommy even your tushie is getting bigger." And, since he said it in the sweetest possible way I couldn't say anything except "thanks, son."

I cannot imagine my life and our family without Andrew. One day last week my friend Sherrie took him with her to Target and then he played at her house with his best buddy Easton for a couple of hours. In total he was gone about 5 hours. I felt lost without him. Even though within about 6 minutes of him being home he was running me through the ringer of whinning, demanding and bossing I felt better with him than I had in the quiet without him. I know that this little boy is meant for me to raise. I know that my heart is bigger because he in in it as far a little boy can be. I love and appreciate my husband more because I've seen the hole his absence has caused in this little boys life. And, I am so much more grateful for brothers because I've seen this sweet little guy with his sister. I never would have thought it was possible to learn so much from a little person but I'm so glad I get to learn from him. He's a hoot!

4 comments:

{kim} said...

I think I could read about the things andrew says and does all day long. He really is a hoot. Tell him happy bday from the T's.

ALYN said...

Funny stuff. Thanks for the laughs Andrew and Brooke!

Creestee2002 said...

So sweet!!! I think him and Daniel would be best buddies. They sound like the same person-and actually, Daniel weighs 26 lb. right now too and he'll be 4 in a month!

Tonia said...

He sounds like such a fun kid! I love reading about how your little ones are growing up. Wish we could be there so I could see them for myself :( Happy birthday Andrew!