Tuesday, March 2, 2010

7 Memories for 7 Years

*I wrote this yesterday and forgot to post it....oops.


Today is our anniversary. 7 years ago today on a cold Saturday morning we headed to the most beautiful temple (Washington D.C.) and ended the conversation about "when" we get married.

It was a fabulous day.

Seven memories from our wedding day:

1. There was snow on the ground. I know it must have been cold because I remember even my mom wearing a jacket.

2. I got up reallllly early. My hair appointment was at 7 or 7:30. My mom and I stopped at a gas station to fill up the tank and each got a breakfast sandwich after my appointment. I ate one bite and realized I'd throw up if I ate any more.

3. We got back to the house (Mike's parents house) and Mike had just woken up and was eating breakfast- he said my hair was pretty. I was REALLY glad we weren't doing that "wait to see each other" thing. Just seeing him calmed my nerves.

4. Mike and I drove with my mom to the temple. I remember as we took the exit seeing the majestic building out the window I felt the weight of the decision I had made on my heart. I could feel for the first time I was about to commit to spending FOREVER with this person. After one second of an "is this okay?" lump in my throat I had an overwhelming blanket of calm fall over me with a reassuring "YES." And, that blanket of calm was right- it is most certainly ok.

5. I have no idea about anything that was said DURING our ceremony. Seriously. I remember saying yes. That's about it.

6. I was not even remotely interested in having my picture taken after we were married. I am glad we took the pictures we did- obviously.

7. Getting in the car after we were all photographed and driving away Mike reached across the car and took my hand. He kissed it and said "we did it." I couldn't believe it. 3 years and 3 months after the day we met we got married. This was a feeling of accomplishment I have never felt rivaled in my life. I felt then as I do now it was the most important and best decision I have ever made.

I told Emma it was our anniversary and she got really excited and said "oh are you going to go on a big anniversary trip with Daddy?" No, I told her Daddy was in Haiti. Well, she wondered what we would do then I told her we would tell each other Happy Anniversary and say "I love you" on the phone. Which we did last night. Even though that's not nearly as exciting as a trip together or even as a dinner out together I don't feel jipped. I feel blessed to be married to a man I miss terribly when he's gone and makes me smile when he's home.

3 comments:

Adriane said...

Aww, congrats! Those are some sweet memories :) Beautiful picture.

Tonia said...

So sweet. Happy anniversary! You two are a great couple!!!

{kim} said...

Happy anniversary! Hard to believe it's been seven years. Can't wait to see you guys!