Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Goodbye sunshine, and computer

Well the good news is that Mike found the papers for our warranty on our computer. We DID buy a 2 year warranty for our laptop! Hooray! The bad news is that I'm going to box it up and send it away for 2 weeks while the screen is replaced. I have a laptop to get on the Internet with but I don't know if I'll be able to upload any pictures onto it. This seems like as good a time as any since Mike just landed in Haiti and they are working like madmen. I talked to him last night for a bit on Facebook and can't say enough good things about the Internet at the moment. While I was chatting with him they had an announcement about coordinating for pick up of their first patient. Well, this morning I read a news story about the first patient being picked up by helicopter from the aircraft carrier off the coast and brought to the USNS Comfort hospital ship which Mike is on. I'm so happy for the people of Haiti that all this help, floating hospital and all is FINALLY arriving. I know they're desperate. The Comfort has 1000 hospital beds and multiple operating rooms I'm sure will all be filled very soon.

We've been having fun with Arctic animals. The hit has been this tube of penguins I got at a craft store for $3 and a big block of ice for them to "play" on. We did this for quite some time yesterday afternoon. Andrew learned the hard way the water was cold and not to dump it on himself. After he decided to dump it on himself anyway (after I told him not to about 6 times) I made him freeze in his cold wet shirt before I got him a dry one. I know, I'm the meanest mom ever. I'm okay with that.






We went to Mt. Trashmore 2 days in a row. When the temperature is above 55 you go outside! For hours! The trail was too muddy for our stroller but the kids had an awesome time playing. I packed peanut butter and honey for lunch with high hopes they would be wiped and sleep when we got home but apparently nothing wears these children out anymore. The fabulous weather is leaving and we're sticking around in the 40's for a bit....ewwww. Glad we had a couple of nice days to lift our spirits!




Also- since Sunday I've been putting diapers on Andrew ONLY for sleeping. We've even run errands and been to the park all in DRY underpants. I'm so happy I could cry. I've taken him pee A LOT and I've been packing extra clothes and plastic bags but I think, I THINK I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

One more random piece of information. Yesterday when we were outside playing Meg (the cat) was on our 2nd story balcony watching us play. The kids thought she was hilarious. They kept telling her "come down, Meg." Well, I told them she wouldn't jump she just wanted to watch. Wouldn't you know she JUMPED. Off the 2nd story balcony and landed light on her feet in the yard. This cat is CRAZY. I hope it scared her enough she won't do it again.

2 comments:

Kori said...

I worked with nurse on humanitarian mission once that worked on the USNS Comfort. She raved about how amazing it was. Glad Mike can help out. Sounds like your having fun with the kids.

Alison said...

Hey. I just saw this after reading your blog and thought maybe it'd be fun to go along with your penguin lessons!

http://www.gourmetmomonthego.com/