Saturday, January 2, 2010

2009 Year in Review

I suppose one of the best things about having such a regularly kept record like this blog is that I don't have to attempt to "review" a year. If I didn't have pictures and blog posts to look back on I'm afraid this year would look a bit like a blur. Thank goodness for journaling!

This year was really a wonderful year to be a Greenstreet. I can't give enough thanks for the immense blessing it is to be a mother to the children I have. I am thankful for the opportunity I have to be with them. I have found new ways to embrace the challenge of not losing myself in dishes and laundry and have become more ME than ever. I have not been successful in every endeavor I have attempted this year but have learned something from each of my failures.

My greatest challenge is and I assume will still be this time next year learning to parent the way I dream of parenting. To speak calmly and not "lose it." To never yell and to remain in complete control of my emotions regardless of the situation. I still find myself caring what other people think although for the life of me I can't think of one reason why. I love to think that God is the driver of my life although I am sure I am quite an obnoxious back seat driver. I try to go where he would have me go- no matter what. Good think I've got a whole new year here to improve upon myself.

My greatest joy this year has been making this beautiful transition with Emma and Andrew from baby to kids. We have a couple boxes of toys and books that are just "too young" for them but that I couldn't possibly get rid of. I have loved this new world of play-doh and crafts and "school time." On days when there is no school time in this house at least of of the kids will ask "can we do some school work?" Their love of learning, structure, reading, exploring and experiencing has inspired me all year long to look at the world through their eyes and I have grown so much more fond of this world of ours. I have developed a new passion to protect and preserve this great country we live in so it will still be the America I grew up in for them. A place where you can be/do anything you want. I have raised being a mom from "just a mom" to "A MOM." I curse myself for ever putting a "just" in front of that word. I am raising humans. I am helping form these little people into leaders. Hopefully I am teaching character traits that will carry them to wherever their hearts lead them. I feel a great responsibility I feel like I have grasped onto this year more than ever. I have no paycheck at all. But, I feel very blessed with a husband who accepts the responsibility of providing for his family and we have never ever been hungry.

This year was filled with much fun. Even the weeks we were without Mike we were watched over and I can very easily say I was never ever bored. We explored lots of new places and visited some familiar ones. Living far away from all we love is never easy but we have seen some blessings as well. When we get to finally visit friends and family we are bursting with love because of our time together.

Because I am me I have a couple lists to make. It's the easiest way for me to bid adieu to the old year and properly welcome the new one. (Even if I am a couple of days late)

No comments: