You maybe can't tell but they're soaked. 

Well, I might get the lame mommy award for today. We went to no parades, bbq's or fireworks. My kids have been asleep for almost 2 hours so no surprise on the fireworks part, but I just couldn't muster the motivation to fight any sort of crowds of people today....plus until they can read this my kids don't know. To be completely honest the day of quiet was welcomed. I may have let Emma watch too many episodes of Angelina Ballerina, but I'm not beating myself up over it. I love that little mouses English accent. Emma asked if she could take a "ballerina class" like Angelina ballerina. Maybe...
I was putting Emma to bed and she was talking about what she wants to be for Halloween (a frequent topic of conversation for her for some reason) and tonight she decided she would be a ballerina. She asked me what I wanted to be and I told her I wasn't sure. She said "I know what you can be!" I asked "What?" ready to hear what her great idea was. She said "grapes." Interesting.....
We didn't ignore America's birthday though! No siree! We had ourselves a little birthday party for America! We even sang happy birthday (about 6 times because they loved blowing the candle out so much). We decorated cookies and made patriotic pictures (that's pictures that include red, white and blue) and we sang all the songs out of our patriotic song book- appropriate birthday party, no?
This morning we went to our favorite park and the kids (of course) splashed in the lake where no swimming is allowed and rode home in their skivvies. Note to self: Next time you want to run errands take the kids to the park with the lake AFTER you run them, not before.
We also had the BEST surprise this afternoon when Mike called! Hooray! Fabulous 10 (or 15) minute conversation. By the way, he's doing very well....flying, studying his tail off, doing P90X. He says he gives up on yoga since trying to do yoga on a moving ship deck is just insane. Both the kids were happy to talk to him. After Emma spoke to him she gave me the phone and said "that's my dad. He's on ship on his way to Africa to do some work." She said it so matter-of-factly as if I had no idea. Love her.
Well, now someone is setting off fireworks outside my window in the parking lot (lovely) and I must go organize myself for church tomorrow.
3 comments:
What a fun idea to have a birthday party for America - I'm sure the kids loved it!
I'm sure it was a wonderful thing to be able to talk to Mike and I hope you're able to talk to him again soon!
I have a really great idea for a grape costume that I'd be happy to share with you if you really want to be a bunch of grapes :) Glad you're hanging in there and that you were able to talk to Mike!
I think I've seen the grape costume at family fun. clear plastic bag with balloons inside. Of course it's tough to drive the car in the costume.
Post a Comment