Wednesday, July 15, 2009

First trip to the Atlantic

I realize we're pretty lame for living here for 9 months, less than 1 hour from the ocean and this was our first trip to the beach. I guess it is very true you take what you've got for granted.

Even though my kiddies had colds I took them to the beach on Saturday. I went to a beach south of Virgina Beach called Sandbridge. It was supposed to be less crowded, and easier to park at than Virgina Beach. It took us 45 minutes to get there and the kids were SO excited. They both held their buckets and shovels in their hands the entire car ride. Since I was going all alone I had to have minimal gear- no chairs, no umbrella, minimal toys, towels, drinks and camera. (Sunscreen applied at the car).

The water was FREEZING. I'm sure my friend Jennifer who dips her toes in the lakes near Duluth, MN is laughing at me saying that, but it was. Boy did the Gulf of Mexico spoil us. The water was so amazing it even had the likes of ME dipping my toes in.
Well, for our beach day the waves were pretty big and there were a surprising number of surfers around. The kids loved watching the surfers (aka shark food). Emma really wanted to play in the waves but didn't all at the same time. Andrew wanted absolutely nothing to do with the water. I was sitting with Andrew on the edge of the water and Emma played about 8 feet away from me. I saw rogue a wave coming in that I knew would sweep her away so much to Andrew's dismay I bolted to grab her arm and he couldn't believe we were going TOWARD the water instead of away from it. Well, I was right about the rogue wave and it splashed up over all of our heads. Andrew wasn't happy about that at all. Emma was glad I saved her and I was glad they both just wanted to build sand castles after that. We threw the beach ball around, built about 200 sandcastles and then decided our beach morning was over.




It is lucky to live so close to the beach.

2 comments:

Alison said...

Nice save! Scary stuff. You are one brave mom taking them to the beach by yourself!

Alison said...

I agree...I have never taken my kids to the beach all by myself. Not sure I'm that brave!