Friday, June 5, 2009

Have puke, will travel


Gold star for anyone who can tell me who the man in this photograph with Emma is....

Well, this plane trip confirmed one thing for us: Emma gets airsick. Before you start thinking that the daughter of a pilot should have some sort of steel blood against things like airsickness I should tell you her dad wasn't always as iron clad in the stomach area as he is today. He did his fair share of puking in flight school.

The way to Arizona Emma seemed a little tired and I thought it was because I woke her up at 5:40. Side story: When I woke Emma up I asked "Emma, are you ready to go to Arizona?" She lifted her head off the pillow and said without even opening her eyes "Should we take some water for the desert?" Funny. Anyhoo, she was a little out of it on the plane. I took out the DVD player for her and she was happily listening and watching Berenstein Bears while Mike studied, Andrew slept, and I listened to a talk by Cleon Skousen on the ipod. Well, that's when the apple juice and bits of bagel came up. Everywhere. Seriously. It took me by such surprise I'm sure I gasped a little too loudly and I'm sorry to say I protected my DVD player before I cleaned her up. After all, I had extra clothes for her but a puke ruined DVD player on a cross country trip would be a catastrophe. While I had extra clothes for her I had none for myself and I smelled faintly of dried vomit for the rest of the day. But, since I was going to visit my dad in the hospital I didn't think a slight vomit smell would raise too many eyebrows. It didn't.

Poor kid. She puked all over her "friends" she brought on her trip. She slept most of the rest of the flight. I felt so sorry for her on our layover when she started to perk up because I knew she'd be green in the face again very soon.

Her stomach had a hard time settling that day because she threw up in our friends (borrowed) car seat. Hi, thanks for having us and letting us stay with you and lending us your car seat. Blegh. She was VERY tired that night and slept it off starting at about 5 p.m.

So, of course we decided that the way home would include Dramamine. She wasn't so keen on taking a rather yucky pill (come on, Dramamine people lets have a kid friendly version!) BUT, I knew a Hershey kiss would entice her to eat. It did. So, in the airport about 10 minutes before we boarded the plane I gave her the magic little white pill and the kiss. Ironically she choked on the Hershey kiss and threw up her orange juice and cinnamon roll IN the airport. Her blanket (and me) were once again soaked in puke. Seriously- I need to fly with clothes for MYSELF!

BUT, on the plane a very nice steward (is that how you say a man stewardess?) gave us some apple juice and I dissolved her pill in a couple of ounces of it and Emma was drugged and then asleep for most of the flight. No puking again for the rest of the trip.

If only Dramamine worked on Andrew (believe me, I've tried everything). We'll discuss him in the next post.

7 comments:

Alison said...

Oh, poor Emma. And poor you! Thankfully my kids don't get airsick. I'm not as brave as you!

I know Emma is next to a Little People, but I don't know all their names.

I'm glad you got to visit your family and that your Dad is doing well!

Alison said...

Oh, poor Emma. And poor you! Thankfully my kids don't get airsick. I'm not as brave as you!

I know Emma is next to a Little People, but I don't know all their names.

I'm glad you got to visit your family and that your Dad is doing well!

Alison said...

Farmer Jed?! Awesome!

Alison said...

Ok, now I need to comment on the rest of the post! I was just so excited about the life size little people! Anyway...poor Emma! That really stinks for both of you guys. Aren't you the one that taught ME to pack an extra shirt on my carry on? :)

{kim} said...

Ughh, I hate puke. I have a hard time even reading about it. I don't know how you lived with it! Poor Emma, but at least you now know the Dramamine works.

lynnissa said...

Where is this Little People place? Ty gets carsick and we use Bonine for kids, it's a chewable tablet? Don't know if you've tried it but it works for him.

ALYN said...

Farmer Jed! So sorry about the puke. sounds like AZ was fun though.