Here's how that conversation went.
Mike: You sure you need to go?
Me: I'm going
Mike: Then I'm going
Me: Then the kids are coming.
Mike: Great.
Preparing for a cross country trip with less than 24 hours to prepare your family is fast and furious. All is well that ends well and we landed in Phoenix to a bright blue sky. First stop? Good Sam. My sister Hillary got my mom out of the ICU to meet us in the hall (no kids in ICU) and she was surprised. I actually think the kids brought a bigger smile to her face than I could have and in that very instant I was very happy they were with us. Kids do have an amazing ability to lighten a situation. My dad was really "tuby" when I saw him but I felt better having been there. I enjoyed his semi conscious revelations and was really glad he had the surgery when he did. I felt emotionally prepared to see my dad all hooked up. I feel like seeing both your kids all hooked up allows a certain level readiness for such a situation. I'm not saying it was pleasant or easy. The number of lines coming out of his neck was wild. I think I realized for sure I can live without ever having my sternum wired back together. I feel genetics pushing against me with 3 of my grandparents and now my dad recovering from the same surgery. Working with this inspiration I'm counting 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day and ordered P90X today which Mike and I have been coveting for months now.
I was very happy that he improved after we got there. Going for a walk in the healing garden was good to do (way too much equipment included). I found the kids extra entertaining and healing in the garden. My dad even chuckled at Andrews antics (which are usually funny unless you're his parents). After a couple of days when we saw tensions falling, stress levels dropping, health improving and the number of tubes coming out of dad decreasing we looked for a ride home. U.S. Airways was the winner for all four of us (good thing we wouldn't have to split up!) We found an affordable flight on Tuesday June 2nd. We realized we would have a little time to enjoy family, friends and the REAL sunshine state in addition to sampling the surprising amount of fried food from the hospital cafeteria. (Seriously surprising!)
Dad had to have an additional angioplasty on Tuesday after Memorial Day. I guess when your chest is wide open and you're having a quadruple bypass surgery an angioplasty is just too much to add to the mix. What do I know though? I'm no heart surgeon. Then, on Wednesday he got to go home. The biggest problem with Papa coming home is that no kids are allowed to climb, sit on or wrestle with him. But, he survived (so far) and no kids killed him before we could snap a family photo. (Missing one brother in law)

So glad we got to go.
So glad dad is getting better with his "new" heart.
We couldn't have done it without some really good friends and family who opened their cars, homes, and frequent flyer mile accounts. In one of our drives to the hospital we were talking about how blessed we are to have all these wonderful and generous people in our lives. I asked Mike what we did to have such wonderful friends. He said we were so lucky and the best part about having such friends is knowing someday if they needed anything we could offer we would.
In a heartbeat.
6 comments:
great family picture:)
I'm glad you got to come even if the reason wasn't the best and glad we got to see you guys. Spencer sure had fun playing with your kids and you barely missed meeting Tanner by a day.
I'm so glad you got to go and that everything has worked out so far. I love the family picture! So cute. I miss seeing your family!
I'm glad to hear your dad is recovering well and that you were able to go visit.
You are lucky enough to have such good friends because you guys are such good friends in return. I'm glad people were there to help you guys out in your time of need.
Welcome back!
So sad I missed seeing you guys! That's great you got to come and get a family picture. I'm sure that made your dad and mom feel special. Cute ending to the post.
It was great to see you guys, even though it wasn't the best of circumstaces. Can't wait to hang out again!
Post a Comment