Thursday, January 22, 2009

Rice

Well, it's too cold to go outside (again)! I'm a little, okay a lot of a wimp when it comes to this cold stuff. So, we need to break up the routine a little around here. Plus, if I have to do the Little Einsteins puzzle with Emma one more time.....
So, we got out the RICE! We have a huge bucket of rice which I have been trying to use up so we can switch to brown rice...but we can't seem to eat it fast enough. So, I decided to help us out and give the kids about 4 lbs of it to play with.
They loved loved loved it. From the time I brought out the stuff to the time we cleaned it up was 82 minutes. They hid cars in it, made muffins, scooped from one container to the other, dumped it over each others heads. It was magical. I did my fair share of scooping rice back into the bowl and quite a bit of vacuuming when it was all over, but it was so worth it. Plus, I even sat on the couch and read my book for 15 minutes while they were scooping and pouring. I have a big crush on the book I'm reading. I need to read more during the day because I'm staying up far too late into the night flipping pages away.
Andrew was so busy! I rarely see him this enchanted by play activities that don't involve the train table at Barnes and Noble.
I have a new found appreciation for rice. And, my vacuum cleaner.
 
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Alison said...

What an awesome idea! I just may have to pull out some rice myself.

And, now I'm dying to know...what book are you reading????

Tonia said...

Who knew? Rice?? I'm glad you were able to get 80 something minutes of entertainment for the kids out of it.

Samantha Fife said...

Rice is such a good idea!! Your little man and your husband are CLONES!!!!

Alison said...

Hehe. I was confused by your text earlier, but now I understand why you told me what book you were reading! :) Which Philippia Gregory book is it? and the rice activity looks like loads of fun!

Erin said...

So creative and so much cleaner than the sand box. Great idea! I don't know if it's anything like beebees(sp?) but one time Marti and I spilled a box of like 1 million beebees and we were still vacuuming them up when my parents moved like 15 years later.

Adriane said...

Wow, you're brave! I think my vaccuum stinks too much for that game! :) Looks like fun though!

Brittany said...

That is such a great idea!