Sunday, January 18, 2009

3 years ago today...

We brought this doll home from the hospital with us. Exactly 8 weeks after she was born she was finally ours.
Hillary was so surprised to see her she asked us "does the hospital know you have her?"
They did. They gave her to us. We took her outside into the cold rainy New Jersey day and drove home with the greatest treasure we'd ever been given.
She was ours.
I had never been happier or felt more blessed in my life. The joy I felt that day walking through the door with our pink bundle of love was more than I thought I could ever feel about such an ordinary action.
One of the best days of my life.
The day progressed normally. To my surprise the world had not stopped turning. Everything went like it normally did except now for the first time I truly felt like a mom.

Her mom.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an amazing little miracle.

Erin said...

So sweet. It would be so hard to wait so long to take your baby home. Becoming a mom is such an amazing feeling. You captured it very well. Isn't it hard to believe that you become completly responsible for something so small and perfect?

randi said...

sweetness. i can't even imagine what you guys went through. i'm so glad she's yours and everything turned out well.

Alison said...

Oh....we love you Emma! You're lucky to have such a great Mom and we're lucky to have you as a great little friend.

Tonia said...

What a special day to be able to celebrate. I'm sure the 8 weeks she was in the hospital was the longest 8 weeks of your life (well other than the time you had to repeat it all over again with Andrew). I'm so glad she's such a healthy, fun, adorable little girl and that we've been able to know her!

Shantommy said...

Do you have any pix that show how tiny she was when she came home? I couldn't tell from that picture. Like um, her next to a book or something? I'm curious!!!