Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ways I know I'm a grown up

So, it's possible that I may be getting old. By old I don't mean OLD I mean old, wise, mature. It's possible. I have noticed things lately that make me wonder "am I a real grown up now?" A few are...

While on a date last month Mike said to me "wow, honey you can really see all your grey hair tonight." Yeah....

On that same date we told the babysitter we'd be home around 10-10:30 (our kids were already in bed when we left at 7:15) but we were both tired and done by 9:15. We rock.

The other day at Barnes and Noble I had read every single My Little Pony book on their shelves to Emma. These books are children's literature crap. I would never buy one for my daughter but I am happy to read them to her at the bookstore. Both of the kids were very busy playing with the train table. (This is rare as I am usually reading to one or the other). Instead of picking up an available People magazine to read I picked up a dinosaur book to learn their very long ridiculous names. I don't care about celebrity gossip? What's happening to me? I assume I will still care about it when I fly on a plane as it is a place I need to be as distracted from the fact that I am flying as possible.

I want a new car. And, I want it to be one of these:

I'm not holding my breath either. But, I will say I have hard proof that my husband may be becoming a grown up because his vote for the elusive "new car" (which we have no plans to buy) is a mini van. Never thought I'd see the day.

This makes me laugh harder than anything I see on T.V.


So does this


I don't suppose this list means I am ALL they way grown up, but it's a good start.

Are you a grown up yet? How do you know?

5 comments:

Tonia said...

Well after such a romantic comment about grey hairs showing, I'm surprised the date ended so early!!

Hmmm, I know that there are ways I know I'm a grown up, but I can't think of any right now (ha, ha - get it). I liked your list, you're so creative!

{kim} said...

How do I know I'm a grown-up? I don't, cause I'm not! When I went to a session at the temple last week the lady in charge even asked if I was old enough to be there! So I don't look grown-up, and I certainly don't act grown up. Oh, and Mike, don't do it! Don't get a minivan!!

Anonymous said...

I know I'm old up when it occurs to me that the students in my courses could have been born in 1991 and that references that seem obvious to me aren't to them. It turns out that Princess Bride isn't something they watch AND they know the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle not because of the movies (yay!) but the cartoons (and more recent popularity).
And... obsessive checking for grey hairs. Is that blond? Really? =)

Alison said...

I know I'm grown up because I use working out as an excuse to go out by myself. What was I thinking? And I can't wait until I get a mini-van.

Megan said...

Ah - to be grown up. It is wonderful!! I know I am grown up when I see my children dressed so cutely and done up and then I take a glance in the mirror to see my out of date sneakers, not so modern clothing, and make up done just enough to be presentable..but my kids sure do look darn cute!