Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Trip report




We had lots of fun in Philadelphia while we were there. It's always fun for us to spend time with our friends and for some reason our kids just mesh in there. They love everyone and love going to "Maddy and Sylvie's house." Saturday was the big Bat Mitzvah and Madison did great. Granted, I don't know Hebrew but the way she was doing her reading was melodic and smooth and I'm sure it was perfect. Andrew and Emma did fairly well in the service. Andrew ejected first (no surprises) and Emma actually stayed with me in the service through the whole thing except for one bathroom break. I was pretty impressed since it was two hours long! In fact, she was much quiter and more reverent than the three rows of seventh graders sitting behind us. I was quite proud of her when the tweens/teens were hushed. We went to the party next and I don't think Emma's feet ever left the dance floor! She had a GREAT time. Andrew danced as well, but we were able to entice him to the table when it was time to eat. We finally stopped trying to entice her to eat some food and just let her dance with her flashing glasses, bracelets, necklaces and pacifier. When she wants these things now she says "hey mom, where are my favorite things?" We were so happy to have been invited and even more honored to help Madison light one of the 13 candles on her cake. She said a sweet poem for each person/group who lit a candle. I wish I had the one she read for us because it was so sweet. I was choking back tears. She was 4 1/2 when I started taking care of her and I got goosebumps seeing her all grown and lighting her candles. What a wonderful girl we know.

Sunday morning the world (or at least our part of it) was covered in a sheet of ice and I wasn't too keen on the idea of driving to New Jersey to go to church so we didn't go. We did celebrate Mike's birthday and the first night of Hanukka that night. The gifts had been sitting out by the fireplace all week and I was so impressed that my kids never once tried to open them. They took a few bows off, but no paper. They were very excited when it was time to actually open the gifts. They should have fun tomorrow.

Our drive home was not as smooth as the drive up. I guess the kids knew I had help this time. They were fine, but the way up they were almost angellic so the demandingness thew me off a little. I'm sure I threw them off a little when we stopped for dinner on our way home and I handed each of them a chocolate milk shake. I figure this had as many calories (or more!) than chicken and french fries, but less oil...and also less handing of things into the back seat. I'm not saying it was a healthy choice, but I am saying they loved it. I had to wash both their seat covers when we got home. Emma fell asleep at almost 6 p.m. and Andrew watch Maisy until we got home. (At almost 8) I thought Emma was awake when we got home, but I put her right in bed and she stayed asleep. She really was asleep too, because the next morning when she got up she came out and said "we in Virginia?" Both the kids were happy to be home I think.

3 comments:

Tonia said...

That is so cute that Emma loved dancing so much. How fun!

Alison said...

I love the picture of Emma crossing her legs! That's so cute.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that Madison is so old... I'm glad you were able to be there and I think it's great that your kids have such a wonderful extended family!