Thursday, December 11, 2008

All the normal

There's nothing super exciting going on here this week. A big week of "normal." What is "normal" for us? What do we do all day every day??
Good question.

Well, every morning we get up sometime around 6. If it's 6:30 it's a GREAT day. This week on Tuesday Emma had her 3 year old check up. I find these appointments SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO annoying. Why do we take perfectly healthy children to the doctors office where they can mingle with other sick children to see a doctor (most likely one they've never met in our case- military health care and all) and have them ask you a bunch of questions about what they eat, sleep, eat just so they can make some dots on a growth chart and tell you they're doing great??? Why do we do this? I'm the kids mom- I've been with her every day of her life. Okay, that's not true: I did go to Disney World for 3 days without her when she was 10 months old and I did go to Philly last May without her but I only didn't actually see her 2 days (since I saw her the day I left and returned). Back to my rant. I've seen her her whole life. I've worried, fed, nursed, researched, and read. Why do I need a guy with an M.D. after his name to tell me she's okay? I've got something too...a M.O.M. after my name. I am SO grateful to take my kids to the dcotor when they're sick....but when they're healthy? Isn't that really just a waste of all of our time?

So, the morning of her check up Mike was home to watch Andrew. He got up with the kids and I got to sleep until 7:15. I can't remember the last time I did this and it was so magical I almost have tears in my eyes just remembering it. You know how some people dream about going on trips without their kids or getting pedicures? Yeah...I just dream about sleeping all night. No big head of curly hair coming in my room (EVERY BLOODY NIGHT) No tiny blonde boy calling me awake when it is still BLACK outside. Just a night of sleep....fantasy.

I digress. Again.

I took Emma to her appointment. Yeah...it was on Thursday and I showed up on Tuesday. Hmmmm. Did I do that? Really? Surely it was a computer mistake because I am far too organized to have made such a mistake. Only when I got home it was written on my calendar for Thursday. Well, you can't win them all. However, this move inspired me to not just be a girl with rants but to completely boycott healthy child check ups unless I have issues I would like to discuss with an M.D. No more just being a mom with a chip on my shoulder about the well child check up. Now I'm just a mom who doesn't go to them. I have principles.

So aside from showing up to the Dr. on the wrong day we've been very busy doing other normal things this week. We have played in the "light garden" in our complex a few times after dark. It's a tiny (1/8 acre) garden decorated with Christmas lights the kids LOVE to play in it. It's okay, there are walkways. No plants are being harmed in their frolicing.

We got our first 2 Christmas cards this week and it reminded me that mine are still sitting on our entry way table waiting to be sent. Oops. I really must mail those out tomorrow.

We enjoyed a nice sunny plesant day outside yesterday. The kids rode their bikes and collected leaves. They loved it. Everyone screamed when it was time to go in. Andrew quite enjoyed just pushing his bike around and grabbing any second he could to sit on Emma's bike when she wasn't looking.


We made some really cute reindeer hats. They love them and they look so cute in them! I love handprint antlers.

As beautiful as yesterday was today was equally yucky. Rain, rain, rain. We are not so fond of rainy days here. Plus, for some reason (rain) I thought I might just lose my mind today. When I looked at the clock in total exhaustion and it said only 3:30 this afternoon I thought if I clicked my heels together three times and wished hard enough I might be able to disappear for just a couple of hours (until bedtime?) I took the kids to Barnes and Noble where we read lots of books and played with lots of trains. I heard a mom of a two year old say to her son "we have to go to school next" and I found myself longing for such a place to take my own children to. School........but not really.
Later however I heard the same mom (sipping her coffee and reading her People magazine) say to her son when he brought her a book to read "no, I'm not reading to you we have books at home- go play with the trains."

So, even though I felt like a crappy mom today because I didn't really WANT to do all the things I was doing...at least I was doing them and I felt better knowing that right here in Chesapeake with me was a mom who was even crappier. (Thanks, crappy mom I needed that) That same little boy brought me a book to read to him when he realized I was reading to my own kids....poor little guy. I felt bad for him and sad that maybe my own grumpiness might have rubbed off on my kids too.

Truth be told, I was THRILLED when bedtime arrived tonight. I rolled out the Pilates mat and stretched and toned. I felt a little better. After the shower I'm about to take I'm sure I'll be ready to do the puzzles, and the games (Boggle Jr. anyone?)and the books over and over and over again tomorrow. But, even if I'm not ready I'll do it anyway.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brooke, thank you for being such a great MOM to my precious grandchildren!!!

Anonymous said...

oops! clicked the wrong box!

Anonymous said...

think I got it now!

Adriane said...

Ahhh, you are so funny!
I'm totally with you on the anti-well child check. Including follow-up appointments... what the heck is that for if they aren't sick anymore?
I agree that MOM is just as good as MD - sometimes better! I wish we'd get more credit for it... and the big fat paycheck too ;)

Cassie said...

I agree with you completely on the well-baby stuff - which would be why both Adalyn and Gavin are a month late for theirs.... or maybe I'm just really really behind. OOPS!

Tonia said...

That cracked me up. For starters, I, for one, think you are a great mom but I'm glad that there was the crappier mom to make you feel better. So sorry to hear that you still aren't getting a full night's sleep, I was hoping one day (SOON) my kids might outgrow waking in the middle of the night but after reading your post I'm not going to hold my breath! Loved the post!

Alison said...

I can't believe that people say those things to their kids! I jump at the chance to read to Jakob because that means he is going to sit still long enough to listen to a story!

And...you're an awesome Mom! Those reindeer hats are so cute!!

Mollie Lawrence said...

you thought that the doctor's office had germs, wait till they start school. I'm probably the only mom that sends her daughter to school with purell.
Love you sis! You make me laugh, sometimes, you are too much like me:)

Alison said...

Love it! I'm with you on the well-checks. I guess they need immunizations sometimes, but these random checks are annoying. I have been putting off scheduling Bentley's for a while now.

Some days I'm the crappy mom who just wants a moment with a People magazine! We are allowed to take a moment for ourselves here and there, right? Otherwise I'll burn out. I think as long as it's not habitual to put your kids off it's okay every now and then.

Life as a Greenstreet said...

Yes! I agree Alison. I DO think it's okay to put your kids off now and again...I've just never done it in public (where people like myself can see it and then go away and judge on my blog)
This morning for instance...I totally ignored my kids for 90 minutes while I finished my Christmas/Hanukka/birthday shopping online. The house was COMPLETELY destroyed when I was done...but I did it anyway. :)

randi said...

ha! i loved this post. your really are funny, and i know you are a great mom!