Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Brrrrr


We're positively freezing here. Yesterday it was 44 degrees and WINDY! Today is about the same. The temperature in the house is kept at 63 degrees since I am attempting to keep our electric bill under $100. I actually can't wait to get a bill to see if it's working...because if it comes and it's like $60 the heat is going UP, baby.

Last night I was tucking the kids in packing another blanket around their blanket sleepers and I thought about Little House on the Prarie. I got a chill up my spine thinking about the cold air in South Dakota in January and I was most grateful for my 62 degrees on my thermostat even if it does feel much cooler a lot of the time. I guess I need to buy some hats for my kids. Brrrrr!

The above picture is the kiddies playing with their toy computers. My mom started this whole thing when Andrew was born and she was taking care of Emma while I was in the hospital. She bought one for Emma and at not even 16 months old all she really liked to do was push the buttons and sit on it like a chair. Well, since then she was grown quite a love for her little tote n go laptop. We love to play the games! Andrew loves it too. About a year and a half ago the mouse broke. I wrote Vtech a letter and they sent me a new computer. I was very pleased. Well after another 18 months of daily use the mouse is broken again. Sad. I was a little upset, but then when I started to really think about the amount this $20 computer is played with I realized 18 months and 2000 clicks a day isn't the worst lifespan for a toy. Well, it's not a lot of use to Emma if you can't pick your game which you need the mouse for...and since her birthday is this weekend (and I desperately needed an excuse to buy one) we got a new one. She wanted the pink one but I made her get orange so that when her brother is ready to play the games he doesn't have to tote around a pink laptop (not that there's anything wrong with pink....I quite like it). So now we have two laptops and two very busy bees.

*Lest you should read this and wonder why I am speaking about freezing and my son is sitting in just a onesie....allow me to explain. This was right after dinner and Andrew had gotten mac and cheese everywehre (shocker!) so I took his clothes off and went to get his pajamas. When I came back with his clothes this is the scene I found. Pictures first, warmth later. As a side note homemade mac and cheese is another great meal to hide veggies in. I make it homemade with whole wheat pasta and add 2 containers of baby squash to the cheese sauce. Seriously, you can't taste it at all, and your kids are eating veggies. Being a sneaky mom is so fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Mac & Cheese especially the homemade kind when the pasta is al dente but squash???....Okay just three words about that... ew, eeww, and eeewww! That's why your kids look so healthy.

Life as a Greenstreet said...

I swear you can't taste it! Mike is the pickiest person alive and he had no idea I hid vegetables in his food either!

Alison said...

Bentley LOVES his little laptop, too. Thanks for giving us the idea! It's so nice to actually hear from other moms which toys work. Commercials make everything look fun and exciting and the actual item is invariably disappointing. This one, we like!

Man, I thought our house was cold and we keep ours set on 68! I'm still bundled into sweaters and my fuzzy slippers are my constant accessory. The only time it gets really comfortable to me is when I'm in the kitchen cooking and then it warms up (in that room only!) just enough.