Thursday, August 7, 2008

A looooootttt of thinking

I've exhausted the Internet's resources on finding out all I can about moving....I haven't given it much thought up to now...the men come, pack out stuff, it drives away...that's it. However, maybe it needed more thought. I don't have an answer about what we will do. Mike likes the idea of packing and loading our own stuff....but I see Mike on duty and having other things to do and then "us" packing our stuff turns into Brooke staying up until 3 in the morning for four days to pack because Mike will have 24 hour duty 3 times in the week before we move. It could happen.....we shall see. However in the last couple days thinking about packing and loading ourselves I've been looking at all of our "stuff" in a whole new light....everywhere I look.....stuff.
Toys currently "played" with. I put played in quotation marks because my kids don't play with toys unless someone else is here (other kids). The exceptions to this are that Andrew loves his cars...and Emma plays with her animals. They both love to open and close the barn. Andrew pushes the doll stroller, grocery cart or popper around every day. That's about it. Which led me to another thought: Should I get rid of all our toys? Seriously....what are we dragging them around with us for if no one plays with them............? So many questions

Here's the "toy closet." I rotate toys seen on the shelves every couple of weeks. On rotation day the kids generally play with everything I've just brought out. It's always a busy day of play. Maybe I should keep all the toys for those 2 days a month. They do love the tunnel and the kid clips radio in the closet...but I have to keep them interested in those things so I hide them sometimes. Moms are so sneaky!

Then everywhere I look in this house there are books......



There's also a tub of books next to the rocking chair in Andrew's room. Think we like books?
Yes. The answer to that question is yes. I really think I could get rid of the kids toys (except the special before mentioned ones) but neither of them could live a day without their books. I've been so happy to see that Andrew has come into a love of "reading" these days....his favorites are:
I went walking
Brown Bear, Brown Bear
Elmo's book about Love
Maisy makes Music
Where's Maisy?
Maisy's house
Baby Bugs
Olivia
Baby Donald Makes a Snowman

Emma is just starting to warm up to the Berenstein Bears....which is SO exciting. We read the Berenstein Bears and the Messy Room a couple of times today. That is my FAVORITE of theirs....I look forward to: Too Much Junk Food, Get the Gimmies...it's gonna be great! Emma loves her Little Critter Books! We read at least 10 a day. I don't know how she is not bored with them, but if she's not than I'm not. We still love finding that spider in Just For You.
Back to packing.....just thinking about it makes me want to live a "you take what you can carry" life style. With Paul Bunyan in charge of carrying the books.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sweety! this is your mother speaking, GET RID OF? What are you saing? You know me, I get rid of nothing, well very little,I have blocks that are 30 years old, And some of the stuff I did get rid of I wish I still had. Maybe I won't be the best one to help you pack ,I can see me coming home with toys. Well any ways you don"t have a lot of toys, remember my house? And you can never have enough books. Love Love,

ALYN said...

Well, Brooke, I know the feeling of wanting to declutter, as we've been thinking about moving for a couple of years now.

So for just as long I've been telling myself to declutter and avoiding it. FlyLady asks us to declutter 15 minutes per day. I don't usually, But I have sometimes.

The pictures of your stuff doesn't look like too terribly much. If you have stuff you don't use or don't love, then feel free to let it go. You'll be blessed for sharing with others. Or you could zwaggle it or craigslist. It's easier to keep things clean when there's less of them.

Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brooke... as geoff and I shop for houses I also think: should i get rid of some clothes/ shoes? Why do we have enough books to fill 40 boxes (and those are just Geoff's)? Don't make the mistake that I made moving to Duluth. I shipped some of my books in the mail to my new office and a box "got lost." Of course it was the box with my biggest, prettiest books. Now I get rid of the stuff I can easily (and inexpensively replace). And with Christmas might come not just elephants but NEW books! Jennifer

Adriane said...

Uggh, I also just hate that we have so much stuff! Where does it all come from? They toy thing is the WORST! My problem is, whenever I get rid of something Sade will remember it 6 months later and start asking for it...