
This post is purely a random sampler of things I have/am thinking about....it may not be very interesting but since this Blog has become a pretty good "family history" if you will the thoughts give me a way to remember what was/is going on in our family right now.
-We are moving in about 2 months. Maybe less. It is starting to drive me ABSOLUTELY bonkers that we don't know where we're going next. Truly bonkers. I hate, hate, hate this part of "military" life.
-Should we do a partial move ourselves? How much $$ could we make? If we could make a couple thousand dollars packing and loading the boxes ourselves...would it be worth it or would I be cursing that choice about 30 minutes into loading the truck? Mike and I do many many things very well together but we don't pack/load very well together. It always ends up in one of us saying "whatever" and walking away.....and then walking back and saying more things we probably shouldn't say. BUT we haven't had to move ourselves in the last 2 years...maybe we're ready to give it a try again.
-What is with Emma's irrational fear of Glow Worms? She is terrified of them. Someone gave on to the nursery and she discovered it on Sunday and we had to put it away. She wouldn't even take her head off my shoulder if it was on the floor. She is petrified of them. I can't figure it out. It's just a sweet little glowing worm, but to her it may as well be the Grim Reaper.
-I can't believe Andrew is 17 months old. He's been coming to the nursery with me and I wonder if in our next ward he will stay there without me....I doubt it. I just can't believe he's old enough for this thought.
-Should we live off base in a smaller (2 bedroom) apartment to save some $$$ and pay off our debt faster? (every dollar counts!) We've been batting the idea around and that leads me to my next thought..
-Are the kids ready to share a room again? They did sleep very well together for 2 weeks, but there are downsides to it too....
-What the heck are we going to do if we have to drive to San Diego? With our cat? EEEK!
-I am flying (alone) with the kids in a couple of weeks.......is there ANYTHING in the world that will entertain my son in a seated position? He does love his Maisy books these days...will that be enough for him? Is there a secret toy in the world I am not aware of that entertains energetic children and makes them forget they are sitting in their car seat?
-We are going to make a trip to the temple on the 15th of August and we're thinking about doing it in one day....this means 9 hours in the car in one day! Is this even possible? How can we entertain the kiddies for that whole drive?
-What do I have to do to drop some pounds? Walking every day without fail doesn't help. At all. Skipping those candy bar and ice cream sessions Mike has every night doesn't help. I am so darn stuck. I was complaining about it the other day and Mike said "you never know how people lose weight...they could be taking drugs. At least you're healthy about it." He didn't seem amused when I quickly retorted back that if someone was taking a "skinny drug" that actually worked I would LOVE to know about it because I'd be the first one in line to buy it. I'm SO sick of being stuck. The first 20 lbs was....not easy but easier. 4 months and I haven't moved an ounce....should I sleep less and get up at 4:30 every day to exercise longer? Should I start drinking slim fast 3 times a day? Ugh!
-I can't believe Emma doesn't nap anymore. Is that normal? She's not even 3. In the month of July she took 3 naps. 3 for the whole month. One was on my shoulder at JT's winging ceremony and one was in the car on the way to the Naval Aviation Museum (does that count) so not counting those two she took one formal nap in her room....that's. it. She does go in her room every day for an hour to have a "rest" during which she sings (loudly) for the entire hour...and if she gets bored of that she reads her books. How long do I make her do that? If she's not sleeping should I just let her stay out and play all day or should I keep rest time the way it is?
6 comments:
About the cat, we've traveled with them since the beginning. It just depends on the cat. You can drug them, you can let them lay on your lap, but will they try to escape everytime you open the door? What we did depended on the cat. But get a cat carrier and you can buy and little tiny cat box that you would use for a kitten and it will fit in there in the back and then put a blanket in the front. We usually left the door open and the cat would go in the crate to use the bathroom, although not much b/c they dont tend to eat or drink on the road.
Sorry, its me again, as far as dieting, its 90% diet and only 10% exercise. If you want to drop some weight, I would focus more on the food than the exercise. I recently lost a lot of weight before I came down here I started at a size 14, I KID you NOT! Nobody believes me, but I have picture proof! and I did it by counting cals, which I know you do already. NO exercise involved. I gave myself 1200-1400 cals a day and lost about a lb a week. It took like 6 months, but I've been able to keep most of it off. I've gained about 10 lbs back, but I just need to get back on track. The move here really threw me off.
So, we go for the partial DITY. (Emphasis on the "partial") Getting paid to take stuff with you that you need anyway is the best! A BIG no way for the full DITY! That's my 2-cents ;)
Ah, I have so much to say about everything you just wrote. I'm totally with you on the "I have no idea where we're moving to and it's driving me crazy!!!" No advice there. Just empathy. And I think that's hilarious (in a very sad sort of way) about the glow worm. Who would have known that would be so scarry to some little kid? :0 You already know about our partial ditty love, so on to the next thing: smaller houses. There are certain things that I have found I need to be happy in my home. They may be different for you, but consider this: I need a BIG open space for living/dining area. That's where we are most of the time. I can handle smaller bedrooms, no biggie. I just sleep in there anyway. My kids are fine sharing a room. Smaller kitchen--no problem. The other factor that I NEED is EXTREMELY easy access to a play area (ie, back yard, sun room, park, whatever it is) I have to be able to pick up a kid or two and walk there in about 10-20 seconds. No stairs. Stairs are too big of a pain. My advice is, if you can find ALL that in a smaller house, then go for it and save the $$.
Moving onward--I am flying from Japan to Utah in two weeks with Ethan as a lap child!!! Arg! He is a bit younger and I think he doesn't get bored as easily as the girls (who I'll be leaving with Parley)but I'm still worried. And I'll have to prepare WARM bottles for him! How do you do that on an airplane? I'm stuck with no answers. As far as long car rides go(we've driven across the US twice)we bring our portable DVD player and I feel absolutely no guilt in using it. It's one of the best investments we've ever made (since we had to go in debt to buy it so many years ago! :)) If you don't like that idea, books on tape work well. Even though the kids don't really know what's going on, they partially listen and it keeps them somewhat quiet and the adults are actually entertained! Other things that work: magnadoodles, cards (like alphabet cards or whatever) and little purses and such to keep the cards in work well for my kiddos.
On the excercise: When you're losing weight, there are always platos. Everyone hates them, but you're probably in a plato right now. Don't give up. Keep on exercising and counting those calories, and your body will pick up again some time... Consider picking up your workout from a walk to a run or whatever.
And lastly, Olivia stopped napping when we were in California. She was not even three yet. Arg! But I just hung on to that "quiet time" as long as I could so I could get a nap in. I really needed it after Ethan came along. She stared coming out of her room, so I started locking her in her room. I showed her the lock and told her she wouldn't be able to come out until "quiet time" was over. It worked great and I made sure she had TONS of books and toys in her room. I just couldn't let her roam the house though because I was affraid she would get hurt. Her room was very safe and I felt fine about doing that. You probably won't go that extreme, but I suggest holding on to the quiet time for as long as possible. I think it's good for a kid to have a little structured alone time.
Sorry to leave a whole essay, but I've just been through all of that!If you have any tips for me, send them my way! :)
Why don't you know where you are going yet? When will they tell you? We love living off base bit we are sure to live on base at some point. I had someone tell me to go to The Dollar Store and get a few toys and every little bit take one out and give it to them. We tried this when we drove to Utah last summer and it worked well. We bought a few and since they were a dollar, we didn't feel guilty about it and then every few hours give them a new one and it kept them entertained to get a new toy they hadn't seen yet. We also use the portable DVD player, and books. As far as losing weight goes, I don't have anything to say because you know how I feel about losing weight right now. I hope it goes better for you! Keep trying!
We did a 10 hour flight with the 6 month old. He nursed alot, and he takes cold bottles.
For warm bottles, don't the flight attendents have hot water for coffee? Maybe they could give you some hot water to mix with your room temp. water?
Kori hit a plateau on the weight loss, and I think she started writing down all her foods. I've also heard about the Momentum system, where you alternate walking with running, to get the heart-rate up and jump start the metabolism.
I just keep re-fighting the same 5 pounds... At least it's only 5, I suppose.
Post a Comment