Sunday, October 9, 2011

Soccer for the Dainty



Emma is still playing soccer.....and I will say she is getting better.  She isn't what I would call an aggressive player, or even one who knows where the ball is all of the time.  BUT, she is having fun (for the most part) and I do think she's learning a bit so we're sticking it out.  She likes to play goalie the best because she doesn't have to run all over the field or compete for the ball.  She also doesn't mind when it's her turn to sit on the sidelines and watch.  We've had our share of embarrassing moments from her like last week when she walked off the field in the middle of the game and said "I'm tired of this, it's too hard."  She would have been happy to sit right in her chair and not go back on the field.  Of course we encouraged her to go tell her coach and sit on her sideline.  Then there was the time someone passed the ball to her and she wasn't paying attention and it hit her in the stomach and knocked the air out of her.  She was ready to quit then too.  I have to remind her that SHE is the one who asked to play soccer and she has to finish what she started.  No quitting and no whining.  Choose your choice and see it through.  So, she is seeing it through.  I'm not sure if she will ask to play again next year.  Mike was ready to never let her play a team sport again after her amazing displays on Saturday but I feel like 5 is still young to really "get" the team sport thing and if she wants to try again....we should let her.  Although maybe soccer is too fast paced for her.  Maybe something like.....butterfly chasing will be her sport.  Is that a sport?

2 comments:

This Bliss said...

Butterfly chasing is a sport on spongebob- except they call it jelly fishing. And it's okay if emma doesn't catch on to the soccer thing. Seth never quite caught on the the sports thing like I did, and he is much better than me at other things. She'll find what she likes. She likes gymnastics, maybe she could keep doing that?

Amantha said...

After coaching soccer for 3 seasons I feel like a pretty good judge.....not many 5 year olds get it, especially not girls. Damen is 7 and this is the first season that I have ever seen the kids actually play although sometimes they are still perfectly happy to sit on the sidelines. I bet, next season, she still wants to play!