Saturday, August 20, 2011

First Time a Runnin'

I'm not what you'd call a runner.  Not by a long shot.  BUT, I've got some friends who are runners and they really have inspired me to get out there and see what it's all about. So, despite my crippling lack of self confidence, crazy schedule and being absolutely out of shape I decided to give it a try.

A couple months ago I signed up for my first 5K.  That's 3.2 miles if you don't know.  And, I ran....some over the last 6 weeks.  Not as much as I should have but I have progressed quite a bit since the first time I went out for a workout I had to pull myself around the track one time and I thought there was NO way I would ever be able to keep my feet moving for 3.2 miles.  No way. 

But, my friend Robin said she'd go run it too and I couldn't back out.

So, in six weeks my best run was 1.5 miles straight.  The longest I'd ever gone total was 2.5 miles.  I wasn't really ready but I was SO ready to just see what I could do.

And, it wasn't fast and it probably wasn't pretty but I finished!  I did it!  I've never been happier to see orange cones in my life (finish line) and I'm pretty sure if it had been 3.3 miles I would have had to stop and puke but I did it. I was happy to see my babies faces waiting for me.

I've got a long way to go but I've got my sights set on Thanksgiving Day 10K turkey trot.  Mike and Robin are in....who else?

Robin and I before the race.  She rocks. 
Oh sure, it's easy to smile now.


I've got a number....I can't turn back now.


So close to death....but DONE.  Hooray!  When I told the kids what I was doing Andrew said "Oh I hope you win!"  I told him to forget that I just hope I finished.  There were 425 runners and I came in 336th so I didn't lose either.  Just happy I finished.

5 comments:

Alison said...

Woohoo!! So impressive. and Crazy :) Just kidding...I'm very impressed! Congratulations!

Rae Greenstreet said...

Oh my gosh Brooke! That's wonderful! I am so proud that you were able to finish. I'm jealous, I ran one once but can't any more.

Tonia said...

You are awesome! Way to get out there and do it!

{kim} said...

Good job lady! I freakin LOVE that picture of you laying down at the end. That's what it's all about. Keep it up, the first 3 are the hardest.

lynnissa said...

Love your last picture. That'd be me too...laying down ready to die! Congratulations.