1. August was the first full month that Mike was home this year and I spent way more time enjoying life and way less time writing about it.
2. I am (lovingly) pressured into taking so many pictures of the kids every movement when Mike is gone I pretty much enjoyed doing a thing or two without my camera.
September is the only other month this year we'll have Mike home so it may be another slow blogging month- I make no promises.
So, what did we do in August? There was the stuff I have blogged about: Ocean City, Maddie's visit,buying our new car, going to Raleigh. Aside from that- it was a hot summer month. We went to the pools, beach, ran in the sprinkler, played at the parks in the morning and started easing into our schoolwork for the year. I have to say I have enjoyed every darn second of having two cars. I actually had to remind myself the first couple of days I didn't HAVE to go out and do something just because I had a car- because I would still have one tomorrow!
Emma's reading skills have just taken off! She gets easily overwhelmed if she can't sound out more than a couple words on a page- so I've been finding simple books she can read with no problems! Her favorite easy readers are:
1. Biscut books
2. Dick and Jane books
3. Green Eggs and Ham
4. Go Dogs Go
I just got her another Dick and Jane reader and she's moving along in that one- the world has opened up to her since she's reading. She loves it and so do I!
The last day of August we celebrated our one year anniversary in this house which is hard to believe! This year has truly flown by. The weirdest thing about the year anniversary in this house is that we're not getting ready to move! We're always getting ready to move or already moving after a year. It's kind of a nice feeling to know we've got a while to be here. The soonest we would move is April 2012- but there's a chance we could just stay here for another 3 years at that point.
And, because I did take SOME pictures in August- here are a couple. It was a good month!
Andrew the smartie pants LOVES to write! He spends a large portion of his day with his magna doodle. He's learned how to write a couple of words from memory- Andrew and Daddy are his favorites! This one was SO good I couldn't help but take a picture of it.

One day Mike woke up and decided he wanted to be a cook. I'm not complaining. He made me some AWESOME pesto and he made dinner for himself and our neighbors of a shrimps risotto thing. He was pretty proud of himself and my dinner was pretty darn yummy so we're lovin his new found affinity for cooking.
Emma does her own hair sometimes which consists of getting her hands wet and smushing her hair to her head. I can't help but encourage independence so we let it go the way it is....but hopefully she incorporates a comb into her routine at some point.

One day last week I was watching our friends boys (they are 6 and 3) and the kids all went upstairs to play in their room- they took our tunnel with them so I figured they'd be occupied with that. Plus there aren't any toys in their room so how much trouble could they actually make? Well, the answer is a LOT if the four of them decide to empty the HUGE bookcase in their room. This took me over an HOUR to clean up- the books are about a foot deep. Kids!
A couple more pics for good measure-
No comments:
Post a Comment