Thursday, June 3, 2010

10 Things

I haven't written a ton yet about our adventures and when I read back over my blog it's the little memories and thoughts I'm glad I've captured. Obviously the pictures have nothing to do with the post but here they are.



1. The Flight
Our flight here I'd say was one of our best flights. There was no vomiting (crowds cheer). Everyone was happy to watch videos on my ipod or play with their little toys. Emma opened her cup and it spewed OJ ALL over about 3 rows of people and I wouldn't say that was great but it wasn't vomit and I'm sticking with it being a great flight.


2. Time Change
There's no easy way to change time zones but for the most part it was okay. No one ever woke up at 4 a.m. for the day. It was hard to keep them up past 6 p.m. the first couple days we were here but we powered through and now everyone is happy living in Arizona time. Now when we go back we get to do it again. Now that I'm here I'm 9 hours ahead of Mike and for some reason that makes me feel SO much further away from him. I can't wait to share a time zone with him again.
3. Cousins!
How do kids just "get" their cousins? We saw this when Mike's family visited us in Virginia. Cousins who hadn't seen each other for YEARS just playing together within minutes. Same story on this side of the Mississippi- they all just get each other.
4. Sisters and brothers.
When I'm with my siblings it makes me want to have 7 kids. Of course then I get on an airplane by myself and I feel the two is good but I just love being able to spend time with people I share a past with. We've played games and laughed and adored each others kids as only siblings can. We've rolled our eyes at each other and sometimes at our parents and it's wonderful to be transported to a world where you have a place and spot and a voice and everyone knows your name.


5. Food.
I've said this before and I'll say it again in my life. There is no real Mexican in the U.S. food outside of the Southwest. I stopped searching long ago and just get my fill when we're in Arizona. I enjoyed the El Rancho in Payson, Arizona. If you're ever there- eat it. You won't be sorry. The chips are chippier, the salsa is tastier, it's all just too good for me to try and give it credence here.


6. Mike
It's a funny thing to travel and visit without him. I've come to Arizona before without him but he was at home at work and I made a choice to leave. It's funny now because after so much forced separation I don't think I'd make a choice to leave him home alone again for two weeks. But, I will say that even though I miss him terribly I am just so thankful to live now when we have the Internet, Facebook, Cell phones, calling cards and fast postal service. All these things have helped us be connected every single day. I can even call him and so long as he is in his room on the ship he will answer. I've missed him but have never really felt disconnected from him. I find myself looking for some kind of happy medium. Live in the moment- yes. Be looking brightly toward July 9th? Yes. Be constantly sad or looking away from what I'm doing? Tempting sometimes but no. I don't want my kids to look back and ever feel like I wasn't present for them when he was gone. More than anything I want to be present wholly for them. I would be lying if I said even in the moments I've been out of breath with laughter I didn't still wish he was there laughing with me or at me (whichever was appropriate).

7. The Sun.
It's brighter here. The sky most days is a shade of blue you can't imagine unless you see it and there are NO clouds in it most days. There are stars in the sky! Millions of them! I love being reminded of such magesty I miss because of climate and light pollution.
8. Small towns.
There different here than in the East because for so many towns here there is nothing for miles and miles and miles away. I feel like many of these places are frozen in time- though I'm not sure what time that is. We went out to breakfast on Saturday with my Grandma at a diner we love to visit when we're in town. Then we went across the street to the local craft fair and the air was just filled with small town wonderful. The local museum was full of old Mormon Pioneer memorbillia and had my children not been racing through I would have loved to read a line or two about the memories held there. It's on my list of things to do once they hold still.


9. My Grandmas.
I have loved getting to see both of them. I feel so lucky and blessed to have both my Grandmas around now that I'm about 30. I haven't seen one of my Grandmas in about 3 years. I found some old books of remembrance at my Grandma Tayrien's house that I just wanted to pour through. I'm going to take my computer to her house to copy down some of the stoies told in the books. It was like a treasure chest of family history and I'm glad to share these wonderful women with my children and let them give them hugs and feel the love I have felt from them my whole life.
10. Friends
I have often told my younger siblings that all the friend drama in high school doesn't mean anything because in 10, 15, 20 years they won't even know these people and it's not worth the time. Much of that is true, but I feel quite the exception to the rule as I've been blessed to keep my high school BFF close to me all these years. It's nice to just "hang out" and see our kids together. I'm not sure we envisioned this era of our friendship when we were 15 but it's really fun! Talks of boys and movies are replaced by breastfeeding and potty training but it's still great to have a friend who's been fun to travel down the road of life with.

2 comments:

John and Kori said...

Glad your having a great visit. When are you coming to see us?

ALYN said...

Amen about the Mexican food. We've had some very non-mexican food in Missouri. We haven't tried many places here.

We look forward to eating Mexican food often every time we visit AZ. And we've got star watching on our to-do list.