Friday, May 7, 2010

Rocking afternoon

I had a GREAT afternoon. My husband from across the ocean arranged for me to have the afternoon off. He arranged spoiling for me and care for the kids. He gets five gold stars and I'm so grateful to him for taking such good care of me- even from thousands of miles away.

The kids played with their friends all afternoon and they said they both had fun. Andrew skipped his nap and well, let's just say we shouldn't do that many more times if we can help it. He was a tad bit crazy from the moment I walked in the door to get the kids. So, instead of sticking around for dinner we went home. He was asleep 60 seconds into our car ride but woke up when I asked him if he wanted to play in the sprinkler for a couple of minutes.




Incidentally this is the DUMBEST sprinkler ever made. I'm glad it was only $6 but it just doesn't work at all. It's just awful. I'm going to have to get a new one tomorrow because this one is worthless.

Andrew filled up his first potty chart. There is no ammount of cheering I can do to describe my happiness that the potty training process is actually moving along. When we're home he's doing GREAT. When we go out....well he's still working on it. But, the potty chart had 25 blank spots and in 5 days he has filled it up! Hooray. He got to pick out a prize at the Exchange and he picked a fun "shake and go" Lightning McQueen car. We left our friends house pretty quickly because no-nap Andrew was melting quickly into a pool of out-of-control-boy and we forgot the new car. He asked about it when we were home and I told him we forgot it but would get it back tomorrow.

He was pretty sad about my answer.


This picture pretty much sums up his form for the rest of the day. Only about an hour later I was rocking in my rocking chair while he was coming down from his out of control temper rage. I was singing and in the back of my head I thought "man this boy knows how to un-do a massage." But, I rocked longer, sang more and his breathing slowed. Eventually his little arm came out from under his silk and he put his hand on my cheek. I was glad I was there to rock him down from the cliff. I was glad when he arrived back in the land of sane people he had his head cradled in my arm. I'm glad his problems are small and that I can solve them with a song and 10 minutes in a rocking chair. I know someday they'll be bigger problems, but for now I'm just going to love my magic ability to solve the ones we've got.

2 comments:

Sherrie said...

I was tempted to bring the car over last night...should have followed through with that. We LOVE your kids!!

Shantommy said...

I really just LOVE the way you write. You are so entertaining...even about the littlest things in life. I can totally relate to the simplest joys that you find in the little moments with your children. Thanks for always reminding me that they are there.