I shared this with my faithful Facebook friends but realize that's the only place this story is written so before I forget about the day my boy almost died....
We were at Five Guys for dinner and after we were done Andrew was practicing his new door opening skills. I saw him leave the resturant and figured he'd turn around see we were still inside and stand there and wait for us.
Wrong.
He took off in a sprint for the parking lot. I don't know what he saw or smelled but he was going for it. I saw the look of "I'm about to dash off and die" in his eye and had already started after him. When I got outside I realized he wasn't going to stop and stepped up my run to a full sprint.
Sometime between jogging and full sprint my shoes flew off.
I could see a car coming out of the corner of my eye and fearing I would not get to him before the car I screamed his name is the most shrill I'm-about-to-watch-my-baby-die voice I could. I scared the daylights out of him. Which sort of meant we were equal since he had just done the same to me. But, who's counting. The car that would have taken my boys life zoomed past none the wiser and we buckled out boy in his seat for a stern lecture on not running in parking lots.
I've had this guilt about how Andrew was born early. I know I'm not great at being pregnant and he suffered a lot of growth restriction as a fetus and had good doctors not known what my uterus had in store for him he wouldn't have made it. I've felt guilty for not cooking him all the way thinking I really didn't do right by him. Now? Not so much. The guilt about not giving him the best start has magically faded since I instead helped him have a fourth year of life.
3 comments:
wow! Scary! I don't think there is anything more traumatic for a mommy or child! I am glad he is ok.
I'm glad he helped you overcome your feelings of guilt. What a scary experience, it's a good thing you have lightning quick reflexes! Those are the times I want to pick up my kids and shake some sense into them :)
Wow, that's some scary stuff! Sometimes that "shrill mommy scream" comes in handy... Good thing he listened!
Post a Comment