Friday, April 9, 2010

Cousins for Easter

Some of Mikes family came into town for Easter. I have such fond memories from my childhood of holidays filled with cousins and grandparents so I love any opportunity we get to give the same experiences to our kids. Mike's siblings who stayed with us were patient with out limited accomodations and I think everyone had such a good time that any feeling of being crowded in was overshadowed by the feeling of loving having family around.

Mike's brother Ken and his wife Petra and their 3 kids were here. Also, Mike's sister and her 2 boys were here as well. That's 5 adults and 7 kids in this house. Mike's parents stayed at the Navy Lodge but were here for much of the fun. It was a very enjoyable Easter break.

I'm too tired at the moment to order the pictures so I'm just going to run down what we did while our company was here. The memories leave my mind quickly....but I want to put down what has managed not to escape.

The kids loved the lake behind our house. Luckily Mike had worms in the fridge (ew!) so the kids all got a turn to fish or throw sticks in the water- whichever they liked.

We took a LOT of trips to the playground. I've never loved our neighborhood more than I did when there were so many people here. Within 1/2 mile of us were so many things we used: the gym, track, nature trail, multiple playgrounds, lake and our driveway and back yard got more play than I think they ever will again.

Ken and Petra have a little girl who is only 1 month younger than Emma. Our kids haven't seen each other since Emma was 10 months old so I was wondering how they would take to each other- well they did just fine! Christine has a little boy who is 1 month older than Clarissa so we had three 4 year olds, one 3 year old, one 7 year old, one 9 year old and one 10 year old. What a fun mix! Patrick, who is 7 has the same birthdate as Andrew. When I told Andrew he and Patrick both had the same birthday he turned to Patrick excitedly and said "you're 3 too?!?!" He's so sweet!


Mike took his brother, sister and the 3 older kids to the helicopter simulator one day and the kids loved it! Actually, everyone loved it. Come to think of it everyone who has ever been in one has loved it. I am the only person I know not intersted in it. I think I'll go just so I can feel like I've seen Mike work but I hate flying so much even fake flying in a simulator raises my heart rate and has me slow breathing.

I digress.

Our kids had an AWESOME time! We hope to make it less than 4 years between now and the next time they see their cousins in Charleston. Now if we could just meet the cousins who live in Washington....












3 comments:

Kori said...

Cousins are the best! So, when are you coming to AZ so we can hang out cuz?

Sherrie said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. We LOVE when we get to see cousins.

Tonia said...

It looks like a great Easter. I'm glad you were able to get together with family. It's always great to let your kids actually get to know their relatives! I love Emma's colorful, striped dress by the way.