We got back from our visit to Philadelphia today- the drive was smooth and uneventful. We made it in under 6 hours including a stop which is not too shabby. I unloaded the car and the kids played outside in the perfect 70 degree weather.
I got the kids back in the car to return our rental and Andrew had been playing in the drivers seat for about 5 minutes before I buckled him in. Well, wouldn't you know one of the 20 things he touched was the lock button. I put the kids in and shut the door- the locked door. My sweaty kids who had been running around outside were now locked in the rental car with my only set of house keys.
Hmmmmmmmm
I tried to get Emma to unlock the door which didn't happen. I did however manage to worry her and set her off crying and asking for water.
Greeeeaaaat.
I tried to do the same with Andrew and he started crying faster than Emma had because he wanted to be able to take his own seatbelt off.
I called the rental place and asked for the other set of keys that SURELY existed to be delivered and found out there is only one key for each car.
Even better.
I called for roadside assistance and the operator said my call would be answered in 6 minutes.
Decision time.
I went to the garage and gave trying to pry the door open one more try. I tried to unlock the car with with a crowbar and screwdriver. No go. So, I did the only thing left to do.
I smashed the window of the rental car out with my crowbar.
I told the kids to cover their faces first.
Door unlocked, file claimed with my insurance, and car returned.
That $0 deductible we pay for rocked my world today.
Emma was staring off into space before bedtime and I asked her what she was thinking about and she said "our broken window."
3 comments:
Good thinking mom! I'm always terrified that my kids will lock me out too. Glad you were brave enough to break the window and didn't even have to pay for it!
I'm glad you had a great time in Philly! I was so jealous of your time at the Thrift Shop and Peace of Pizza treat just the thought of that makes me miss our lunches, work and gym trips... Delighted to hear that your working out gave you the strength to smash in a window.
GO YOU!! Tell Mike he owes you big! =)
Did it feel good to smash the window in with a crowbar? It actually sounds kind of fun. I'd imagine Andrew loved it and Emma was a little traumatized by it, but fun anyway! I'm glad you were able to find a suitable solution - go momma!
Post a Comment