Since the last post I just did I've been thinking about how much I love those BOB books that have helped Emma read. They're simple, and not super colorful (distracting). Our "preschool" is relaxed to say the least. I don't force the kids to do or finish anything- there will plenty of time for that later. I've loved learning what the kids like and don't like.
So far- these are our favorite learning toys/tools.
Write and Wipe books- we have the ABC and mazes books and Andrew could do them for HOURS. He LOVES the ABC one. Emma is resistant to writing letters unless she has something specific she wants to write (i.e. I Love You). She loves the mazes book. I love that they have used each of them about 50 times and you just wipe and do it again the next day.
We have THESE and a couple of THESE.
File folder games. For some reason my kids totally love file folder games. I'll admit I enjoy making things for them and watching them enjoy them. I also like file folder games because I can successfully make them- not like when I try to sew/paint something. I. am. not. crafty. I like THIS website- though there are tons of them.
Along with file folder games I like to modify these TOT BOOKS into little games for the kids. This mom is amazing.
Counting Pets- we use these for counting, making patterns, sorting and of course they love to just play with them. I got ours at a teacher supply store, but there are lots of options HERE on Amazon.
Kumon workbooks- my kids love these. Their favorites are by FAR the sticker and paste books but all of them are worthwhile little books. Emma has loved cutting in the Let's Cut book. She doesn't love her upper and lowercase letter books, but that's because she doesn't like practicing her handwriting.
We've also done lots of workbooks similar to THIS one. Emma loves the dot-to-dots and mazes and Andrew loves the alphabet pages. There is a little bit of everything in these books.
Emma got this little school kit as a gift and she has LOVED it. It has a little of everything in it and I would totally give it to a 3-4 year old kid who loved "school" time.
Games we play and love:
A Nemo matching game we got at Target in the $1 section- daily for weeks we've played
Hi-Ho Cherry O- good for counting
Chutes and Ladders- counting all the way to 100!
Boggle Jr.
Memory- or as Andrew says "Remembory"
Froggie Boogie- it's all wooden and if you know me you know I'm a BIG sucker for wooden toys
We have other games, but those are our favorite ones that I think are actually teaching something- even if it's just focus and memory. Mike and I love games and it is very clear both our kids have followed right along in our path- they are both serious gamers!
What are your favorite kids learning toys/games?
2 comments:
I was going to request a post of where you get some of your preschool ideas. Charlotte is still a bit young for a lot of them but I thought it might be good to get some ideas now while I have a little more time. I'd like to hear more about how you decide which skills to teach at which age and how you pick your "themes"
-Right now I'm mostly just reading her a TON of books. I'm amazed how quickly she's picked up on what pages say different things.
-Alphabet blocks and magnetic letters to start to teach letters and numbers
-Shape sorter/books to teach shapes/colors
I'm excited as she is able to do more!
My kids are loving "Sequence Jr" right now...and starting to learn planning ahead and strategy. This is fun for me, too, and a break from other kids games I was getting bored of!
Post a Comment