Sunday, January 17, 2010

We did it!

Well, yesterday morning about 10 a.m. we dropped Mike off at work for 3-6 months. It was weird. On one hand we have absolutely no room to whine and moan about our own pain when the people who he is going to help scarcely have anything to miss at all. My kids aren't starving to death and they aren't in need of any medical attention that I cannot get for them. My house is standing, our bellies are full and we all slept in very comfortable beds last night. (Well, Mike's probably wasn't that comfortable, but probably better than the ground!) We pray for the people in Haiti who have been struck by this terrible disaster. We hope they get the help they need as soon as possible. I know Mike is anxious to get there and "do some good." This very reason is why he was looking forward to flying helicopters. He wanted to be able to help where help was needed. He left with a bounce in his step to get there and a heavy heart for missing his kiddies. I am very proud of him.

So, here we are.

We went to the playground for a bit before we dropped Mike off. The kids were of course mad to leave and didn't seem to care that daddy needed to catch a ride out of the country (go figure). I love this picture not because it's a great or even good picture of any of us (it's not) but because Mike and I both have pretty fake smiles on our faces and I can read the gravity of the next event in our eyes.




Mike taking the kids to the car. That's not our car, ours was in the shop having a new starter put in (grrrrrrreeeaaattt timing!) and our neighbors (God bless them!) let us borrow their car.


Bye, Sweetie! We will miss you!

Until then: let the blogfest begin!

P.S. This is my 500th post!

5 comments:

{kim} said...

So sad that he is gone that long, but thanks for sharing your husband to help do some good. Just come visit us for a long time and he will be back before you know it. You can even find an 8K to do around here and train for it while I watch your kids :-)

Tonia said...

Look at you with 500 posts! Way to go.

You have such a good perspective on things, much better than I would in your shoes. Good luck with everything, we're praying for you guys!

Michelle said...

Congrats on 500 posts. Brooke if you need someone to just vent to give me a call or send me an email. I wish I could come over and watch the kids for you while you went out to a movie or something. Thank you for you and Mike's service to our country.

Cassie said...

I, personally, am so grateful for what Mike is doing. Each and every time I turn on the news, my heart breaks that there is nothing that I can physically DO to help.
You have such a positive outlook on all of this. Your kiddos are lucky to have such a strong, happy mom through all of this. If there is ANYTHING I can do to help you, please call me! :)

500 posts!! Wow! Congrats!

Kori said...

I love that pic of Mike carrying the kiddos.