Sunday, January 24, 2010

People always say everything goes wrong when your husband deploys. I live a very simple, sometimes mundane life. Relatively free of drama. I like my simple existence. But, about that old adage about everything going wrong....

It's totally true.

When Mike went to S.E.R.E. school the kids spent the first 5 days puking their guts out. I cleaned up so much vomit I thought about covering the house in plastic for a few days. The day after Mike left for Africa I slammed my thumb in the door of the car and a couple days later I lost my wallet. None of these things happen on a regular basis.

This time since he's in for a "serious" deployment we've got "serious" problems to go along with it. More serious than puking children, smashed thumbs or lost wallets.

We've got a broken car.

Last week we paid for a big repair and it seems to be broken with the same exact problem. It wouldn't start today after church. I was stranded with my kids at church. I was immediately just overwhelmed. Because taking your kids to church by yourself is just overwhelming enough. A dead car afterwards is just a cup of tea. I guess the cup of tea didn't get the memo that I'm Mormon and I don't drink tea. I don't need any cups of tea!

Luckily everyone was just getting out of church and I called a friend to give us a lift home. Emma was really mad and started crying when I told her we had to leave the car there and get a ride home. I really really wanted to join her and kick and scream and cry. But, I decided to be a grown up and act like it was no big deal even though inside I was throwing a temper tantrum which looked about like hers did.

In the morning we'll have it towed to the mechanic and we're hoping it is a very simple fix which has something to do with the repair he did a week ago so that it is A) fast and B) free.

Hope, hope, hope.


So, despite the earlier illusion that I'm positive and peppy I'm fully expecting one of my children to wake up with chicken pox or H1N1. Something miserable but manageable. Maybe if we can get the broken car and sick children out of the way I can move on with a relatively mundane simple existence for the next six months.

Before the car drama I took these two fabulous lookin' creatures to church with me.

5 comments:

jjediehl said...

Hang in there Brooke. I hope the car is an easy fix. Just know that your family is in the thoughts and prayers of all of us who love and care about you. Your children are adorable. Take care, Aunt Jere

Adriane said...

Oh, that stinks so much! I hope it will be a quick fix. It is so true; bad things happen here too when Nathan's away. I'm glad you at least had a way home and weren't stranded at like, Walmart or something! :)

Jennifer said...

I think of this as mental overload; last year just after Geoff went to Egypt (obviously choice and deployment are different but still sucks)... I walked to the bus stop to head to school for the day (wearing my "teaching clothes"). in order to get to the bus stop I have to vault a snow bank and skitter across a sheet of ice. Once I arrived at the bus stop I became convinced that I had 1) not turned the oven off (I don't use it in the morning so this was really stupid) and 2) didn't lock the back door. Of course, I had to do the obstacle course mentioned above in reverse and quickly. Coming back, I 1) fell over the snowbank face down and drop my open purse face down in the road...2) managed to slip down a second time on the ice leaving a stain on my dress pants for the rest of the day.
Not as bad as a broken car and two kids but certainly annoying (especially because the person that would make you laugh at such a spectacle is too far from home to share in the misery).
I hope the car is fixed quickly (and without any additional cost)

Tonia said...

I hope your kids DON'T get the chicken pox or h1n1 and that you can get on with your "mundane" existence without any more problems. Good luck with the car. I hope you aren't stuck carless for too long!

Kori said...

Car troubles are the pits. I hope everything works out.