Monday, September 28, 2009

A picture says 1000 words




BUT, since I can never just leave a picture without talking about it....I will.

Andrew is potty trained and it is awesome! For the last 4 months he's been getting ready- he loves to go and when I told him Sunday the next day he was going to put on underpants and not wear diapers anymore- he seemed to get it and he was excited! And, at this point he doesn't even want any help at all. If I happen to be walking in the same direction as him when he is going to the bathroom he says "no, don't come with me."

Here were some of OUR keys to success:

I bought a couple of nice waterproof covers. Like the ones they make for cloth diapers not the HUGE bubble plastic ones they sell at Target. I put the covers on him not for him but for my carpet and furniture.

I didn't go anywhere with him for 3 days. Except the backyard.

As often as he could be he was naked. He had absolutely NO accidents when he was naked because he had a heightened awareness of when he had to go. So, we had lots of scenes like this one:


I bought LOTS of thick cloth underwear (12 pair I think) and only when he stayed dry for a whole day did the fun Diego pants get put on.

When we go out he wears 2 pair of the thick underpants.

Mostly we just had a willing subject who did mess up sometimes (sometimes very badly at Barnes and Noble or the playground). BUT, we stuck with it and halleluja I don't have to buy a box of diapers this month.



My other random thoughts on potty training.

So far for ME the "boys are harder" thing is totally untrue. Emma was way harder to potty train and wouldn't go by herself for a like a YEAR.

My next kid is getting switched to cloth diapers at about 9 months old so I can start the process earlier and see if there really is any truth to what all of our mother's say...."you were potty trained at 18 months."

Having a JUST potty trained kid is mentally exhausting and NOT easier than a kids in diapers. In public you have seconds to dash to the bathroom and you better always have a change of clothes with you. You have to think things like "when was his last drink? Oh, should I wait 30 minutes to go out?" It's a whole thing.

Kids like rewards and Andrew was determined to get a lollipop for being succesful in the bathroom with both #1 and #2. He did get lollipop and he got to pick out a toy at the toy store. "Anything you want" Daddy told him. Only when we walked in he jumped on a Power Wheels Quad and said "I get this." I had to tell him it wasn't REALLY anything he wanted....anything you want that we say you can have. We got a Thomas Take Along set.

Hooray for Andrew! I'm so proud of my little buddy.

12 comments:

Alison said...

Congratulations Andrew!!

Cassie said...

Yay Andrew!! I'm so jealous he is completely diaper-free, I don't know if I'll ever be brave enough to take Adalyn out of the house without a pull-up...

Michelle said...

Way to go! That is so exciting that you are a diaper-free house now. Whatever are you going to do with your new found wealth from not having to buy diapers?

The Giles Files said...

Hoorah! That's awesome. I have been toying with the idea to potty train Hannah before the baby comes. But she is only 19 months. And truth be told, I am not ready. I just know when the baby comes, she'll regress.

Plus, this whole potty-training, I would argue, trains us as moms just as much or more than the kids. Having to worry about the last fluid intake or how many hours since the last potty session, or trying to leave the house. Too much stress. But then again, the reward of no diapers is awesome. :)

{kim} said...

Yay Andrew! Boys aren't necessarily harder to train than girls, but they are harder once they are trained. I clean up pee on the bathroom floor around the toilet almost every day. Beware.

Mike and Adrianne said...

Yay! My boys were both pretty easy to train. Isaac was a little harder but not too bad. I would be very interested to know what it's like to potty train a girl. All my friends with girls are having a hard time with it. Isaac actually still wears a diaper to bed. He is dry most mornings but some mornings still has a wet diaper. Some nights he will wake up to go but others he just sleeps so soundly. What did you do to get Andrew trained through the night?

Mike and Adrianne said...

OH, one more thing. I agree with Kim...when they are trained it's a whole other story. Mike finally made the boys sit to pee because we were so sick of cleaning the pee up around the toilet. Gross.

The Giles Files said...

I make Trent sit down. He can pee standing up in public restrooms and camping, etc. I'm a mean mom.

Alison said...

Great job, Andrew! (And Brooke)!

I waited a long time with Bentley. But I would do it all again, expense and all. Because he trained in like two days and two accidents total. So stress-free for me!

Tonia said...

Way to go Andrew and congratulations Brooke! What an exciting thing for you all.

BritCosplay said...

yay! Congrats I am definitely going to use your tactics when I start to train!

Erin said...

Good potty training tips! That is so exciting for you. Potty training makes me so nervous. I'm hoping the cloth diaper thing will make her a little easier to train but I still have a long road of diapers ahead of me.