Monday, August 10, 2009

What's your favorite children's book?

I've been organizing myself for the start of Emma's first official year of preschool. We're not hard core scholars around here and don't plan on teaching our 3 year old pre calculus or anything. We try very hard to just harbor an environment that encourages imagination, creativity, reading, art and learning. So, the first year of preschool will include 2 days a week of formal "school time." This will be more for learning structure, sitting still, finishing a project you start, etc. I've been invited to join a very small co-op group that uses Mother Goose like preschool materials and I just can't make a decision about it.....I'm leaning towards no just because it's hard for us to make a commitment of 2 days a week. (One car, my new babysitting job, etc)

We have a couple of goals for this "school year"

For Emma to learn to write her name
Learning counting up to 30- we get to about 14 no problem then the numbers keep repeating themselves (16, 12, 18, 13, 19, 16, etc)
Learn 25 site words. I'm all about phonics but I think that site word reading has a place in learning to read as well. I think for kids to look at a word and know what it says is a big confidence boost and motivation to learn more about reading.
AND
Read 100 NEW books in addition to our million books we already read on a regular basis. It's hard to break my kids out of their box when it comes to books- they know the books they like and they go for them time after time at the library. SO, the big chart is being formulated with 100 blank lines on it with books we've never read before- and we need suggestions:




Our favorite series and books are:
Maisy by Lucy Cousins
Little Critter by Mercer Mayer- we are only missing one or two books out of this series and we love every single one
Berenstain Bears by Stan and Jan Berenstain- love the books, love the show, love these bears
Angelina Ballerina by Katharine Holabird- wonderful series that has inspired many a pirouette to be spun in our house and the purchase of ballet slippers
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin- kids can't resist those silly rhymes
Oh the Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss- sadly this is the only Dr. Seuss book my kids care for as of yet
Go Dog Go! by P.D. Eastman
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown- read almost daily for almost 4 years in this family
The Little Red Hen- any version
Byron Barton books- Andrew's favorite is My Car but he loves ALL of them. They are simple, bright and perfect for the 3 and under crowd
Miffy by Dick Bruna- this guy is so awesome. The illustrations and stories are so simple, and yet Miffy has been around for about 50 years. Again- love the books, love the shows
Katie books by James Mayhew. These books are about a little michevious girl (Katie) always having adventures in a museum of some sort- mostly art adventures. SUCH a great way to introduce art to kids and because of these books we saw a billboard for the Chrysler Art Musuem and from the back seat I heard "look, Mom! A painting by Monet!" My thanks, Mr. Mayhew.
Mem Fox books. Our favorite is Time for bed, but all her children's books have a smooth rhythym to them which makes them perfect bedtime stories.

What are your favorite children's books? Authors? We need direction at the library!

11 comments:

Tonia said...

I'll think about some of our favorites and let you know, it's hard to come up with them on the spot!

Michelle said...

My favorite at Emma's age was Wizard McBean and His Flying Machine. I also like:
"I'll love you forever" (has a picture of a baby sitting next to a toilet)
Anything Dr. Seuss.
Read Shel Silverstein. Anything by him the kids should love the silliness of his poems and the Giving Tree is awesome.
Roald Dahl is also a fun author. They are chapter books but Corie's kids have loved having them read to them since they were about your kids ages.

Hope this helps.

Michelle said...

My favorite at Emma's age was Wizard McBean and His Flying Machine. I also like:
"I'll love you forever" (has a picture of a baby sitting next to a toilet)
Anything Dr. Seuss.
Read Shel Silverstein. Anything by him the kids should love the silliness of his poems and the Giving Tree is awesome.
Roald Dahl is also a fun author. They are chapter books but Corie's kids have loved having them read to them since they were about your kids ages.

Hope this helps.

MaryAnne said...

Here's a link to some of our faves:

http://thriftycraftmama.blogspot.com/search/label/book%20review

{kim} said...

Talan absolutely loves "No David" by David Shannon. He has a couple books and they are all good. And Eric Carle books are great for Emma's age!

Alison said...

I really love Mo Willems' books. (Knuffle Bunny and Knuffle Bunny Too, all the Elephant and Piggie Books and the Pigeon books) and PJ Funnybunny Books, the If you give a...books. Those are just a few :) I love kids books.

Adriane said...

You've got an awesome list! I think we might borrow some of your ideas! :)

Sadie also likes "ping pong pig", "small pig", "time to sleep Alfie bear", any of the Charlie and Lola books by Lauren Child, and any of the Froggy books by Jonathan London.

Alison said...

Robert Munsch! They are just so silly and fun! I get a kick out of them, too, which is nice...I don't get tired of reading them over and over and over again. Maybe a bit too old for Andrew yet, but I bet Emma would like a lot of them.

Mollie Lawrence said...

Oh the places you will go! Dr. Suess! Love that one! Your list is great!

The Nielson Family said...

I just bought a book for the boys called " I wanna Iguana" It was so cute it automatically made it to the favorites list. Where the wild things are still hold the #1 slot!!!

Erin said...

Let's see the ones that haven't been mentioned that I love: Good Families Don't by Robert Munsch about tooting (kids and adults will find it hilarious)I also love "Purple, Green, and Yellow" by him, Where the Wild Things are, The Three Little Javalinas (teach them about AZ!), Roxaboxen, Mama Do you Love Me?, That's Good That's Bad, I love mem Fox too, Jesse Bear books, Is Your Mama a Llama? (great for rhyming, guessing, and animals), Old Black Fly, Fancy Nancy, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs,How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long ill. by David Shannon (look him up too his books are great), Mary Had a Little Jam and other rhymes by Bruce Lansky, Dr Suess ABC book, I went Walking by Sue Machin, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, I'll stop now! Sorry I just did an enrichment on this topic so I had the list right here! HOpe you find some more books to love!