Friday, July 31, 2009

Adventure at Sea

Mike had quite an adventure on the Atlantic while we were here having our adventure on land. I have to tell you now that we've been to the ship and I've walked up and down some terrifying steps I prefer the adventure on land. BUT, I didn't join the Navy. Funny thing is that we came to a set of steps that jutted out over the side of the ship we had to walk up to get to the flight deck. Of course the steps are actually more like a ladder and I could barely focus walking up them and I was just straight up scared. Mike had to laugh because he said every time he used those steps on the ship which were jutted out over open ocean on his trip he thought of me and how much I would hate them. He was right. Here are a couple pictures of his trip. This is a video of Mike picking up a load of something....this is the essence of his job- he calls it "vert rep" which means vertical replenishment. I love the first part of the video because the helicopter is flying in sideways and I think it looks really cool.

A water spout The proof Mike actually went to Ghana since this picture was taken on the ground there....really, it's Africa, he swears. Action shot Picture of the wake- the ocean looks so big I can't imagine sailing for days and days and days and not seeing one lick of land.
This video is of Mike coming in for the "break". A crewman in his helicopter filmed it for him. It's one of his favorites.

This video was taken by Mike as they were taking off from the ship. He's not flying obviously (can't film and fly at the same time)I can't believe they take off from a moving ship.

Wednesday we went up to the ship with Mike to pick up some of his stuff. I've never been on an active ship before so it was quite interesting. The kids were very excited and fascinated with everything. It's not very warm, cozy or homey on the ship but it sounds like Mike made the best of it and actually had a good time. He was really happy to come home and have some "not ship food" and my cooking has never felt so appreciated. He's so sweet. Here are a couple snapshot of us on the ship. It's so wonderful to be all together.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great videos and pictures. You made my day!

Anonymous said...

I clicked on the wrong box. Great videos and pictures. You made my day!

Alison said...

Looks cool! I'll have to show JT the videos when he gets home. :) Have fun on your vacation!

Mollie Lawrence said...

Truely interesting! I'm glad he enjoys flying...cause like you the strange steps would scare me:) Love ya sis! Thanks for sharing those videos are neat! I can't believe the flying sideways stuff! How'd they do that?

Michelle said...

I loved the videos. I think it would be so fun to fly off a moving ship. I have always wanted to be in an airplane that is catapulted of an aircraft carrier and then lands on it too. But I'm kinda crazy that way.

I'm glad you are all home together and that you survived your adventure on land.

middleofmayhem said...

That is so awesome that I just crapped my pants. - Steve

Cassie said...

Wow!! That is so fun. I'm glad he was able to capture some of those fun memories!!!

Steps over the water, not my thing either.

The Giles Files said...

Wow. Those were awesome. Thanks!

Tonia said...

What a cool job! The videos and pictures were great!