Tuesday, May 5, 2009

We love the Smithsonian

Washington D.C. is a GREAT city! It is an awesome city to do things with kids in because all the great kid stuff is FREE! I love the Smithsonian and have never been into a gallery I didn't love.

Saturday we took a roadtrip to D.C. to see the Natural History Museum. It's too late for me to corolate coherent sentences that flow together into paragraphs so I'm going to give the Cliffs Notes version of my thoughts about the trip.

We left at 7:30 a.m.

Traffic into D.C. sucks. Even on Saturday morning.

The kids were great in the car. Andrew missed the bridge/tunnel on the way up cause he was sleeping. He loves bridges and tunnels. Silly little guy. They both terrify me.

We stopped about 15 miles outside the city to get on the Metro. I highly reccomend this move for anyone taking a day trip into D.C. The Metro rocks and our kids are just as excited about riding the train as they are to get anywhere. Kids 5 and under ride free with an adult and you don't have to pay for parking in the Metro garages on the weekends. All good things.

The Natural History Museum is so awesome! The kids love all animals so much and it's so cook to see life size animals- our favorite was the giraffe drinking water. Also, who doesn't love to see dinosaur bones.
Isn't the drinking giraffe the coolest?
This is our family photo with mustache Mike. It's leaving on Friday. He's not sorry and I'll be quite happy to not get hairy kisses. Notice Andrew wrapped up in his blanket.
Andrew dragging his blanket all over the Smithsonian. Trying to pick up every communicable disease he can.
My eyes are very puffy/red looking. My allergies were killer this week. Luckily they seem to be behaving now, but Saturday was ugly.
I think they had a good time.

Overall it's a long day. We got home at 9:15 p.m. It's a lot of driving for one day, but all is well that ends well. I'm so grateful to live so close to such a great city. We did manage to make one horrendous mistake though. We bough lunch in the museum. Here's a list of things that would have been smarter than that:
Bringing our own lunch
JUST buying the kids lunch and Mike and I waiting to eat later somewhere where pizza isn't $7 a slice
Or, buying a membership to a museum here instead of driving to D.C. to go to a "free" museum and then paying an astrinomical amount of money for lunch.

Live and learn.

Next trip we will be conquring the National Zoo. This is going to be GREAT- pandas, gorillas, tigers oh my!

By the way- our blog is private now. I may have missed inviting someone I am related to (but ONLY by accident) or anyone else who likes reading. If anyone emails you and asks you to pass on a request for an invite- please do. I am happy to have readers, but only invited ones. :)

2 comments:

Alison said...

That's so fun. They'll love the national zoo! Emma looks a lot like you in the pictures of them playing in the rain. I think Mike having to have a moustache is hilarious.

{kim} said...

Ahhh, Mike has a chomo mustache! (in case you don't know, chomo stands for child molester.)