Monday, May 4, 2009

Move over Monet

Emma has (up to now) shown NO interest in learning how to write. She enjoys coloring, but wants NO direction or leading, or help or anything. She would never attempt to draw any letters, numbers, etc. So, you can imagine my surprise when she took her notebook and colored these:
This is her self portrait. When I asked her to tell me about it she showed me two details. First she said "that's my really curly hair." Then, she said "there are my little toes down there" (the little dots by her "feet") I love love love this! Her first self portrait. I love how the legs come out of the head and there are no neck, shoulders, arms, hips, etc! I love little kid depictions of people.

This is great too. This is her depiction of daddy. See his big lips? She told me that's his mustache. Love it.


Her picture of Andrew. I'm not sure why she drew him a little wild. He must be in motion and this is the best still shot her imagination could come up with. Notice he has four legs.


And, her picture of me. A few questions I came up with after looking at this one: why are my eyes so darn big and bloodshot? And, what's with my hair? Do I really have rooster hair.

And, is it strange that I love how skinny my legs look in this picture?

My scanner wasn't working right (grrr) so I had to take pictures of these so I could keep them forever and ever. Let the excessive project keeping begin.

8 comments:

MaryAnne said...

These are fantastic! Funny how a kids produce pictures like this out of nowhere.

Alison said...

Ooh...I could do all sorts of cool drawing psychoanalyses of these. Very interesting. Hehe..they are very cool. I especially love the picture of Andrew.

Mollie Lawrence said...

Took Gwendalyn a while to get the interest in letters and numbers down. Since about 3 and a half she's tried!
Love the people! They look a little like monster people:)

Anonymous said...

SAVE SAVE SAVE these -- they are priceless and so much fun to look at when they are teenagers.

Alison said...

SOOO cute!

Bentley is not into writing/drawing, either. He did draw snowmen over the winter but that's as far as he's gotten.

I've finally started photographing my kids artwork, too. I can put them in scrapbooks without them taking so much space. It is hard to decide what to keep and when to let go...You really can't keep EVERYTHING.

Jennifer said...

As an art historian I'm really amused by these.. Here's my "official" reading of the portrait of you (in the words of the artist herself):
"Look how alert and wide awake Mommy is; she runs so very, very fast that her hair is streaming out behind her. Go Mommy Go!"

ALYN said...

We call these "potato people" When kids learn to draw, it usually looks like a circle head with arms and legs coming out!

So fun!

Mollie Lawrence said...

Listen....you need to invite me to your new "private" blog...molliever@hotmail.com:) Love ya sis!