Friday, April 24, 2009

Bursting with pride

Seriously, I am. Mike called me yesterday at about 5 p.m. to tel me he was on his way back to his hotel. I was so beyond happy to hear his voice. Not talking to him makes me feel like the Earth is spinning slightly off kilter. I wasn't alone in my intense desire either...melted me like butter when he said he couldn't sleep on his 3 hour bus ride off the mountain back to base because he couldn't wait to talk to me. This is quite a bit of excitement coming from someone who's just spent the last week living off the land (quite literally) and being kept a prisoner of war (in training).

I am SO proud of him. I knew he would finish (of course). I was just worried all week he would get hurt or sick and have to go back and do it all again. And, of course thinking of all manner of torture techniques and awful roughness he must be experiencing didn't help one bit. But, he's done...it's over. Goodbye SERE school I hope he never ever ever needs to use the training he got there.

We talked for 90 minutes last night and we both could have gone on longer but as 11 p.m. loomed closer we both knew tomorrow wasn't a day of forgiveness for losing sleep. He enjoyed his first night of sleep on a bed in a week, his first shower and facilities that were more sophisticated than a bucket. He said he had a full beard and took a picture for me....can't wait to see that one. Mike had a great "sum it up" sentence when he said "best training I've ever recieved, worst experience of my life."

His plane cannot get here soon enough. Tomorrow at 4:30 all will be right in the world again.

6 comments:

Erin said...

That's sweet! There's nothing like being apart that makes you realize how much you love and rely on your spouse. Distance makes the heart grow fonder! Sounds like some scary training.

{kim} said...

Good job Mike! It takes a special person to be able to survive that. Make him some great food when he gets home!

Kori said...

You are the woman to be home for two weeks by yourself with two toddlers, and I thought my husband was gone a lot.

Mollie Lawrence said...

YEAH MIKE! Good job! Both of you! In a sense it's sere training for you too surviving with two toddlers that miss their daddy! We're all happy to hear such great news:)

Tonia said...

I hope you are enjoying a wonderful reunion right now. Congrats Mike! I can't imagine having to send Andre off to SERE school, what a terrible experience! I'm glad you guys survived.

David and Jacquee said...

I am so glad that you both survived SERE school:) I am not looking forward to when David has to go through it. I bet the little ones were excited to see their daddy.