Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The best stuff since Saturday

Funny how sometimes when life is all crazy I don't feel like blogging (like when my hubby is out of town). And, sometimes it's so great and fabulous I don't feel like blogging (like when he comes back from being gone for two weeks and we're relishing in that absence-makes-the-heart-grow-fonder kind of feeling around the house).

But, in all the non-blogging I have mentally keeping a list of the very best of the best moments happening. Just because I don't feel like writing about things in detail doesn't mean I don't feel like keeping a list.

Of COURSE the BEST moment since my last entry was about 4:40 p.m. on Saturday when I saw a dirty blonde head with sunglasses a top it walking through airport security and I whispered to both of my kids that daddy was coming. Neither of them needed me to point him out. It was as if they had a radar and they were both out of my arms and sprinting away faster than I could make sure my purse wasn't sitting in the middle of the walkway. To say they were happy would be a gross understatement. Andrew seemed to be in a state of unbelief to see daddy again. He kept looking at him and smiling and then putting his head back on his shoulder with his eyes closed. I guess that is what a 2 year old dream come true looks like. Moments in which my kids are beyond thrilled to see their dad even after a separation remind me of how well I have chosen for them. He is such a good dad. I was happy to have my left arm back. Obviously I can function without Mike (my left arm) but boy is life more enjoyable and easier when he (it) is around. Mike gorged himself on stuffed shells and induced a food coma after dinner and was dead asleep by 9 p.m. He had such an appreciation for his bed, pillows, and home and he was thrilled to be here. You've never seen anyone bound up a flight of stairs with a heavy suitcase so fast.

Dinners have been filled with requests from Mike- stuffed shells, lasagna, tacos, nachos. All very healthy fare here. Desserts have been equally exciting and unhealthy including apple crisp a la mode, cherry tort, ice cream in a glass with whole milk and oreos. We were both totally shocked to see when he stepped on the scale Sunday morning he didn't lose one pound while he was away. Seriously shocked. Especially because over the course of 7 days he ate 1 meal which consisted of rabbit stew. That's it. I'm not sure how it happened. Also, for all you detail lovers: he ate a rabbit eyeball. By choice. It gets better. When you eat a rabbit eyeball you don't cut it out and eat it....you have to suck it out of the skull. You okay now? That was gross, I know. Sorry I didn't warn you. I couldn't see him doing this, but I am guessing it's good I can't imagine most of what he did or had to do. Good news is he's home and safe and happy and never ever ever has to do that training again. Hopefully he never has to employ anything he learned either.

We've enjoyed a couple of unofficial vacation days for Mike here as well. He doesn't start at his new squadron until Thursday so we've been organizing, going to parks, washing the car, trying to find curtains to hang on 9 windows for about $25 (can't be done). And, just enjoying each other. Our 24 date on Monday night complete with nachos was great. Since there's only about 4 episodes left this season we're not sure what Monday nights from 9-10 will hold for us....it's so weird when 24 goes on break. Although, if anyone watches (you should) we're wondering how in the world Jack is going to make it out of this season alive.

A couple of scenes from the park.




I got to go to my first kickboxing class last night. I couldn't believe I actually got to go since most of my class taking efforts have been thwarted by the ever demanding and unpredictable nature of Mike's work schedule. BUT, it finally happened and hopefully for the next 11 Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30 to 7:30 it will keep happening. I heart kickboxing.

Finally a couple of pictures which have nothing to do with the post...but they're pretty cute (all humility aside). My kids have discovered the joy of ice cream cones. I have discovered the joy of sticky ice cream all over everything when they are done with their beloved little cones. It is a treat relegated to be eaten only immediately before bath time.


6 comments:

Kori said...

Daddy's with kids is so sweet! Somehow Daddy's have a special bond with their kids unlike us Moms do. Congrats on having your husband home again.

Alison said...

Hahah...I have been known to give my kids their ice cream to eat IN THE TUB before I turn on the water...it's just easier. I did the same with lollipops when they were smaller.

I could have been spared the rabbit eyeball thing. I now have a mental image indelibly printed on my brain. Thanks a lot.

{kim} said...

I'm speechless (typeless?) after reading about the rabbit's eyeball.

Tonia said...

I got all teary eyed when you told about your kids when Mike came home - I'm sure to say you were all excited is an understatement. Ugh, I may never think of Mike the same after hearing that rabbit eyeball story - yuck!

I'm glad you got to go to your kickboxing class and I hope you don't have to miss any of them. Is his schedule finally going to be a bit more predictable?

Brittany said...

This was adorable! I could just feel the joy when you all saw him again! I love spending time with my hubby and know what it is to apprectiate him while he is absent. I love daddys! I hope you get to go to your class too. I got a gym membership and haven't been able to go yet...

Adriane said...

I'm glad Mike is home, and made it through! YAY for being done with that!! I am dreading the day Nathan goes to SERE (and I think he probably is, too).

Great pics :)