Tuesday, January 27, 2009

It's just a phase


Sometimes I see Andrew and this is the picture I see. Sort of a scary looking boy who wants to be your friend. This child continues to be lifes greatest challenge. He is no walk in the park. Mike gets a big fat gold star because on Sunday we had stake conference and Mike spend the entire 2 hour session in an adjacent classroom entertaining Andrew while I got to listen to conference. I know this comes with the territory of an almost two year old but he seems little extra not rational to me. I'm also hoping the teeting going on is contributing to his silliness. In the last 6 weeks he's gotten 4 teeth and I see 2 more (molars) coming through. I know this is contributing to some sleeplessness on his part because when I give him motrin he is able to fall back asleep. To bad motrin doesn't help with the sitting still or being quiet part.
On Friday he bit my arm so hard I thought he was going to come up with a chunk of my skin in his mouth. There was an immediate big purple blood blister there and now it looks like an IV gone terribly wrong. It's faded into a brownish bluish bruise. Why does he do these things?
Yesterday at storytime he really wanted to play with the stuffed animals on the table in the front of the room. He's so loud about it too. Of course I took him out of the room and could feel every set of eyes in the room on my highly unruly child. I made him sit on the bench right outside the door while I kept my eye on Emma inside the storytime room. Well, he really wanted to go back in. Of course once inside he started his charade again so we left to sit on the bench. After about 5 minutes he finally relented and said "in in" and I asked "are you going to be quiet and sit nicely with Emma on the rug?" He said "yessss." So, we went inside and he did sit with her for the rest of storytime. I felt a little glimmer of hope that maybe, maybe he won't always be the unruly kid everyone is staring at.
It's just a phase. It's just a phase. It's just a phase. It's just a phase.

7 comments:

Alison said...

I say that to myself all the time. Hang in there. He'll grow out of it :) Wish we could be there to help out sometimes.

Tonia said...

But don't you know Brooke, you are supposed to enjoy these "fun" phases because they grow up too fast (don't you just love that line)! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Wow -- brings back memories. From one old mom who's been there done that (multiple times with multiple kids) I can say without hesitation -- it's a phase. You're doing a fab job -- keep smiling. Oh and take a picture of the bite mark for a future laugh -- trust me one day it will be funny.

Alison said...

Bentley was no walk in the park, either. He was the most challenging baby/one-year-old I've ever encountered. BUT...he is now the most delightful, pleasant, charming three-year-old imaginable. This, too, shall pass!

randi said...

yes, it definately is a phase, unfortunatly it may be a very long one. i have been waiting for lincoln to get through the "terrible two's" and he is over 4 now. i keep telling myself- maybe this year will be different. maybe just a few more months and he will grow out of it. blah. boys are way different than girls, especially when they have an older sister. it will pass, just keep giving him bounderies and stickin' to them. Then at least it might shorten the phase somewhat. hang in there!

{kim} said...

I remember those days with Talan. I pretty much loathe the age between 18 and 24 months. Then all of a sudden, it's not that bad anymore. It WILL pass.

Samantha Fife said...

From what I read above, it's just a phase! I am right there with you though, Michaela will be two on the 13th of Feb and our house is equally ready for our little darling back!