Saturday, January 3, 2009

A couple reviews

I've read a couple of books and watched a couple of movies I thought I'd pass on my thoughts on. Especially since I picked up one of the books after I read about it on my sister in laws blog. Thanks for the reccomendation, Brenda.



This book was very good. It is a story involving very sensitive subject matter- concentration camps. However, the story is told nievely and beautifully through the eyes of a 9 year old boy who has no idea the gravity or sadness of the things he sees so the whole story is a little easier to digest. Overall I found myself happy to have spent the time reading this book when I was done. I enjoy a book that will make me pause and remember the ordinary blessings of everyday life.


This was the book I just finished. I enjoy listening to Glenn Beck, but I have never seen him as a fiction writer. Frankly, when you listen to his show you know how he sort of floats from one off subject tangent to the next and I wondered how he was going to "stay on task" for a whole book. Well, he did stay on task. It wasn't the best or most moving book I've ever read and in the middle I was kind of bored and depressed about the whole thing. But, the ending makes it worth reading. Again, a book that reminds me of the goodness in life. My favorite chapter in this book was the very last one "The way it begins...." in which Glenn explains the origins of his story. Well done, Glenn. If you write again, I will read.


My last review is not of a book or movie, but rather of this Redbox invention. Hello, wonderful! We enjoy watching an occasional movie, but we do not enjoy going to Blockbuster and standing in line and then paying $5 for the pleasure of bringing it back in two days. We really enjoy free movies from the Library but on New Years Eve the Library was already closed and we hadn't gotten a movie to keep us awake enjoy. Well, my mom suggested we find a Redbox (since I was lamenting our lack of movie on the phone). Well, if just so happens there is a Redbox right in front of the grocery store right across the street from our comples. Sure, we live in the back of the complex, so it is 1/2 mile drive. Even so, we thought it might be worth it. Plus, the movies are only $1! Hooray, convenient location and only $1. Now, about the movies we waqtched. First we got Prince Caspian and we quite liked it. A little more violent than the first Chronicles Of Narnia movie, but still very good. I love the little actors and actresses in this series. We registered with redbox.com and got a free movie last night and rented Hancock. When the movie ended we both said- well that was weird. It was a little, or a lot vulgar for my taste and frankly I wished we had just watched Planet Earth. By the way- Planet Earth series is playing on Animal Planet all week and it's SO GOOD. Every episode we've seen so far is just plain great. I'll take it over a free rental any day.

3 comments:

randi said...

we are huge fans of redbox too! love it. i was just telling peder how much i wished i had thought of it...oh well, we'll just enjoy our dollar movies.

Tonia said...

Thanks for the reviews. There is a little red box type thing on base here and we have used it many times! We had rented Hancock there one time as well and after watching the first 5 minutes of it I thought to myself, "This seems a little too strange for me" and rolled over and fell asleep!
Glad to hear I wasn't the only one.

Corie Green said...

Oh I love the Redbox!! And I really liked prince Caspian too, we rented Hancock and never got around to watching it, sounds like maybe I'm glad we didn't.