Tuesday, November 4, 2008

There was no mistake


I didn't forget to post the offical "Halloween 2008" post. There wasn't actually any offical "Halloween merryment" around here, hence no post.

On Friday (Halloween) Andrew was at the worst day of a yucky eye infection. He actually came down with a fever and I decided he needed to go to the doctor because it was clearly bacterial instead of viral after 5 days of no improvement. It was all red and pussy and swollen. He would point to it and say "eye eye." Poor kid. He wasn't feeling very "Halloweeny" and by 6 p.m. he was SPENT and wanted to go to bed. Emma wanted to help me give the kids candy and I asked her more than once if she wanted to put her costume on and go get some candy but she wasn't interested. At all. This is where paying only $1 a peice for our costumes came in handy...I wasn't upset at all. They got to wear them to trunk or treat....so that seemed like I got my money's worth. Well, after a few rounds of handing out candy we had a couple of scary faces come to the door. After the grim reaper came with flashing red bulbs for his eyes Emma covered her eyes and said frantically "I go do my sticker book with daddy!" That's what she did. We were a little disappointed our kids hadn't pounded the pavement and gotten us any of the good stuff....but we lived. We had a lovely date night picnic of Panera instead of Halloween candy. We did manage to decorate our pumpkins (no carving, we're just that lame). I asked Emma what kind of pumpkin she wanted to make and she said "a zoo pumpkin!" That's what we made. A zoo pumpkin. Emma loved putting all of her animal stickers on the pumpkin. Andrew loved taking them off and putting them somewhere else on the pumpkin. I loved how much they loved painting and stickering a squash. I painted my pumpkin black and added flowers all over it. I called it "flower garden at night." Mike got home and said "they don't even look like pumpkins!" We didn't care. They sat proudly and very unscarily on our door step. We might skip the scary parts of Halloween from now on. The candy really is the best part anyway.

5 comments:

andre said...

Poor Andrew! I hope he's feeling better.

Emma sounds like she has grown up so much over the last couple of months. So cute!

Adriane said...

Awww, poor babies! I'm glad they enjoyed the pumpkins though! Looks like a fun idea.

Alison said...

You are right, it's all about the candy! Isabel has always enjoyed the passing out more than the trick-or-treating, too.

Anonymous said...

Those pumpkins are fabulous!

Alison said...

Poor Andrew! That poor guy. Tell him I hope he's feeling better! Emma is getting so big! I can't believe how much she is saying! It's so crazy!