Like I said, no choice.
So, her day was here...77 days earlier than we thought. I'm not sure I was ready to be a mom. I'm not sure I was smart enough, or healthy enough, or organized enough, or creative enough, or generous enough. All I know is that for all the things I knew I wasn't when I saw this tiny little angel baby (who unfortunately looked very similar to an alien at 2 1/2 pounds) I was her mommy. What a joy it has been to be this girls mom! Everything about Emma's life has been a surprise to me. Maybe one thing that surprised me most is how much I love her. I know that is so cliche. I know everyone says "you don't know until you're there." It was true. When Emma left the room and they sewed me up I knew that being a mom meant having your heart outside your body. Mine was with her. I knew immediately how much I loved her. I will never forget the look on her face for the few brief moments I saw her the day she was born. She seemed just as surprised to be meeting me as I was her. But, we managed. I'm so glad we've been able to take care of her and I certainly hope that we are living up to the responsibility we've been given. I have never taken it lightly. I love this girlie so much. I can't imagine my life without her big head of curly hair in it. I love her, and I am amazed at how much.
Some of my favorite things about Emma:
-The way she brings all she knows into her own life. Anything she reads in a book or sees in a show is totally real to her. When we drove through Philly yesterday we had this conversation.
Emma: Oh mommy see the busy city?
Me: Yes I do, it's called Philadelphia.
Emma: Can we see the Statue of Liberty?
Me: No, the Statue of Liberty is in New York City.
Emma: Can we see the United Nations?
Me: (in utter disbelief that my 3 year old just asked if we could see the United Nations) No, that's also in New York City.
-Her imagination. This kid ROCKS! She can take any two object and entertain herself for long periods of time. I love the stuff she makes up, the rescues she makes, all of her imaginary adventures. Emma really does live in a great world.
-She is kind. One day Mike threw a shoe down to me at the bottom of the stairs but it bounced and hit me in the nose. It was a light shoe and I was fine but before I knew it Emma was kissing my nose and saying "is that all better?" I was very proud of her.
-She is a great sister. Andrew (sweet little guy) can be such a pesty little brother and she does yell at him sometimes but 80% of the time she either just lets him have what he wants or goes and gets him something else to play with to entice him away from her toy. She is good to him. Whenever he cries she says "oh, poor Andrew why is he sad?" She holds his hand when we are walking and talks to him like he is older than he is. The other day when we were getting ready to go to Philadelphia I told the kids to go down the steps and wait for me. She said "Andrew you want to go down the steps with me?" He replied "mhm." She took his hand and went down the steps on her bottom at his pace.
-She is pretty easy to please. She loves going to story time at the Library SO much. Last week when we were walking into the library she could hardly contain her excitement. She said the entire way in "oh mommy, look at the beautiful library. Look at that beautiful car. Look at that beautiful tree. Look at that beautiful trash can." Like I said, not hard to please.
-She is SMART. I love watching her learn, and hearing her put things together. I hope she always has the passion for learning she has today.
Some fun facts about Emma (because this is a journal of sorts too)
She is only 2 lbs bigger than she was at her two year check up. 25 lbs.
She has never watched a full length movie. She has no interest in Disney movies at all. I'd love to move to Toy Story or some other equally fun movie but she has no interest.
In the bathtub her hair reaches almost the entire length of her back. It's very long.
She shares a birthday with her Uncle Tim.
She has lived in 3 states and 4 houses.
She has taken 9 airplane trips. I am always astounded by how different my children's lives are than mine. The first time I flew I was a senior in high school. Meanwhile Emma is quite the little flyer. Last time we flew when the landing gear came out she said to me "it's okay mommy. It's just the wheels."
She sleeps in her very own full size bed. She takes up every inch of it.
She loves loves loves her animals. While we have hundreds of toys I think she could live without any of them except her animals.
She just named her first animal. She named her teddy bear Kai Lan. Maybe this will start a trend. Who knows.
And, of course because we are celebrating her birthday I will post some of my favorite pictures from the last three years...
In no particular order.









Happy Birthday baby girl!
9 comments:
Great post. What a precious child!
Happy Birthday Emma! We miss you!
I LOVE her hair! Happy Birthday Kiddo.
Happy Birthday Emma! She is such a great kid! And, I'm so jealous that she loves story time at the library.
Happy Birthday Emma! We miss you a lot!! Your pictures made me cry.
Happy Birthday Emma!!! We miss you!
I vividly remember all the events leading up to her birth. You and Mike were so brave and strong... Happy (belated) Birthday Emma and there will always be so much to be thankful for on Thanksgiving!
ok, one more thing...I love the last picture and how cute her first teeth were! I can't believe how long ago that seems now.
Happy Birthday Emma!
I wish I could read your blogs without crying! I miss you sister and your beautiful sweet family! We'll see you in the new year! When everyone is another year older!
Post a Comment