Sunday, October 12, 2008

Remember when I said we had a place to live?

I totally lied. I mean, I thought we did. We were happy with our townhouse choice....until Friday night when we got to talking about the amount of stuff we wouldn't be able to fit in the place. But, we decided we would just simplify our lives and make it work....we went to bed.
Mike woke me up FRANTIC at 5 a.m. on Saturday morning. He was whispering about our piano, and furniture, and books, etc. There was a big black cloud hanging over us on Saturday morning....a black cloud of a feeling we had made the wrong choice.....what to do???
We knew we were going to have to sacrifice somewhere here. We only have one car so we wanted to live close to the base (there is no base housing available). BUT, nowhere close to the base would work. All the "nice" neighborhoods we couldn't afford a house in which moved us to apartments in nice neighborhoods....and maybe an apartment is a step backwards, but we don't feel like it is.....But, for some reason we felt we had chosen the wrong place. GRRRRRRR
So, back to the drawing board. I spend HOURS looking at apartments, what their neighborhoods looked like on Google Earth, what people said about them on apartmentratings.com, and floor plans. We wanted the most bang (square footage wise) for our buck. We wanted a neighborhood I can go for walks with the kids, and one with nice playgrounds. Well, we found one!
-It's big for our buck
-Has 3 nice playgrounds
-It's in a nice neighborhood with the library 1 mile down the road
-There is a grocery store across the street in case we need something desperately during the day
-There is a security guard at the gate after dark
-There is a pool and a gym
-There are tons of canals with bridges throughout the community-fun for walks!
-There are ducks and turtles to feed! Loads of fun for kids
We love it.....
As a bonus at church today we found out quite a few families in our ward live in the same complex.
And, the street we're on is called "Blueberry Bank." How cute it that??
So, it took us an extra day and we missed driving to Jakob's birthday party on Saturday (sorry, Jakob, we missed you little buddy) but we feel really great. We're extra excited now and neither of us woke up in a panic today so we feel like we made the right choice. We took the kids back to see it again today....and they loved it. (Emma was asleep in the car yesterday so we didn't get to spend much time looking at it yesterday)
The "Florida room" is actually just a HUGE family room with windows on 3 sides. We're so excited to have so much living space. And, Mike gets a closet just for his uniforms....so exciting!

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hey, congratulations! I'm so glad you found the perfect place! I hate that feeling when you know you've made the wrong choice...but at least you were able to change it.

ALYN said...

How far is it from work?

Cassie said...

Congratulations! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that layout - what a playroom! It definately makes up for the 1 less bedroom, because really, how often do they need to be in their rooms vs. how much time they spend playing?

Alison said...

Nice apartment layout! Looks great!

Tonia said...

That is a ton of space for a 2 bedroom! Isn't it great to know that the Lord is looking out for us. I'm glad that you spent a little extra time and were able to find this new place. Good luck with everything!

Life as a Greenstreet said...

Well, it's 17 miles from work....which is far but Mike has a friend only 2 miles away and they can carpool sometimes....which is a big plus. And, 17 miles is still about 6 miles closer than the place we had found in VA Beach.

Taylor said...

I love the layout! We have 3 bedroom and your place is bigger then ours. I miss wide open space like that. Sounds like you guys are well on your way.

This is Sherrie not Taylor

John and Kori said...

That Florida room looks like it will be a great playroom. Your house is way bigger than ours. Sounds like a great location with fun stuff for the kids.

Alison said...

Congratulations you guys!