In base housing here I noticed whenever anyone got their wings there are always these nice signs hanging outside their house for a week or so. I thought of course I would get Mike one of those signs when he got his wings. Who doesn't like to announce to the neighborhood "we're outta here!" Of course, when I said I would get him one I was imagining BUYING him one. About a week and half ago, when he finished, I started looking for one, and couldn't find them ANYWHERE on the world wide web. I finally contacted a member of the "Student Aviators Spouses Club" to ask how I get a sign. Clearly I have not been active in such club or I would have known what the answer would be. She said to me in an email: It is a tradition for the wife or girlfriend to make the sign. I have attached the instructions. You cannot even imagine how my jaw dropped. Of course my initial reaction was "you have got to be bloody kidding me! After almost 2 years of flight school making me break plans, never plan anything more than 12 hours in advance, go places alone, stay home at nights, on weekends, and live through my first hurricaine, alone I have to MAKE A SIGN???!!!!! Haven't I done enough!? Of course I realize self agrandizement isn't a very Christain value.......and I DID want him to HAVE a sign. But, I am not a fool. I knew a sign I made would have people driving by saying "oh, how sweet their little girl made her daddy a sign."
I have a few tricks of my own.
I bought the supplies.....
and brought in the most talented person I know: My mom.
I did do SOMETHING: I traced the wings on gold lamae fabric, and I glued the letters onto the fabric. The rest, the best stuff was done by my mom.
I told her she could go into business making these. I can't be the only un-crafty wife in the bunch.
It turned out so great!
2 comments:
Wow, who knew? I've seen those and thought the same thing! Thanks for the advanced notice, LOL! And, it does look great ;)
Great Job on the sign Brooke and Tracy. Who would know the sign making rules unless someone tells you. I certainly wouldn't.
Post a Comment