Saturday, September 27, 2008

The boy with wings

For Mike, this has been coming since he was 12 and decided he wanted to fly....he got his little set of gold wings. The part of the little speech I thought was funny (and interesting) was that these helicopter pilots are unrestricted aviators. They can fly fixed wing aircraft and helicopters. That means they can do aerobatics and hover, but hopefully not in the same flight. Then he said he would give some advice and said "make sure every day the number of takeoffs you have is the same as the number of landings." That's some good advice. They call your name and we went up on stage. The honored guest held Andrew while I pinned his wings on and tried not to stab myself or him. The whole ceremony was great. It was a little long for the kids, but they did their part and ran around in the foyer the rest of the time. I can only imagine how he feels about it although I have walked into the room more than once since yesterday and he's just holding them....

This was taken on stage right after the "winging." That's the honored guest standing with us. As we were walking back to our seats Emma said loud enough for all the auditorium to hear "now we go home." Everyone laughed.



Hanging out in the foyer with the wild monkeys, I mean children.


The helicopter he used to fly.....now on to the big helicopter.

Yeah, it's pretty cheesy......we're okay with that.


After the ceremony there was the "lunch" where it's a big formal "toast." A lot of the guys give a "traditional toast" and everyone in the room joins in. I had Diet Coke for the occasion, but couldn't hold onto it long enough since I was corralling my kiddies. At one point Emma was weaving through tight spots to get to daddy in the front of the room and I was trying to catch up to her. I can't fit in as tight of spots as she can....and I caught her right as she broke through to walk in front of the speaker. He said "we can defend ourselves against all intruders, even little children." Everyone laughed as I swiped her up and we slithered away. Little turkey! My favorite toast was "to the Marines: may they always arrive first to the fight and be done by the time we get there." My least favorite was "to our wives and sweethearts: may they never meet." I booed. I don't like jokes like that. The kids had a great time. We were so happy to have Alison, Jakob and my mom here. On the way home at almost 5 Emma fell asleep....and slept and slept and slept until 6:15 this morning. She's still wearing her dress at this very minute.....

I should go change her...

15 comments:

ALYN said...

Wow! That's so exciting. I've been waiting for this post.

Congrats on the Wings, cousin-in-law!
Have we even met? Thanks to Mike & Brooke for all the effort, long hours, and work serving our nation.

Best wishes for many successful flights to come!

Adriane said...

Congrats to you both! We're very excited for you and wish you luck in the future. Maybe we'll bump into each other in the fleet someday. Semper Fi!!
-Nathan

Tonia said...

I got all weepy eyed. Congratulations! I loved hearing all about the big day.

jjediehl said...

Thank you to all of you. I know it's hard work for the whole family. Thanks for sharing the special day with us. We're proud of you Mike and wish all of you the very best. Keep us posted on how you're doing. Love, Aunt Jere

jjediehl said...

Thank you to all of you. I know it's hard work for the whole family. Thanks for sharing the special day with us. We're proud of you Mike and wish all of you the very best. Keep us posted on how you're doing. Love, Aunt Jere

Alison said...

Congratulations again Mike!! There are many "hysterical humans" jumping for joy for you at this moment. Hehehe.

Stephanie said...

Congrats! We had Olivia running around and around on the stage during and after Parley's turn at the ceremony. Luckily people thought she was cute. It helps to have a cute girl with curley hair making the mishchief. So, that dress looks really good on you, by the way. And you look so tan! Nice. I have to tell you, I was looking at your pictures and the one with you kissing Mike's cheek was up and Breanna came by and said, "it's Mary and Joseph?" and I laughed.

Alison said...

Congratulations you guys! That is so great! The sign looks wonderful, Brooke...your mom COULD probably rake in some money on the side! Because I know I certainly wouldn't have attempted such a project on my own!

Erin said...

So exciting! I loved all the side stories. I'm glad your mom could come. What a great accomplishment!

The Giles Files said...

Congrats! All the hard work...and now it's on to even more exciting things. How neat it is to reach a goal, a dream that has been YEARS in the making and then having a ceremony that makes it "official". :)I am so happy for you and your family.

{kim} said...

That's awesome! I'm so happy for Mike, I know he's dreamed of this forever! And, you did a great job supporting him and taking care of the kids so he could do it! Now, can you come play with us???

Anonymous said...

That is fantastic!! What a cute sailor in uniform.

David and Jacquee said...

Yay congrats you guys! We are so excited for you. The wings look great on your uniform. The flag looks awesome!

randi said...

ok, i'm such a retard that i didn't even realize it was you when you commented on my blog FOREVER ago. so sorry! i'm so glad to find you and to be found. it looks like you guys are doing really well. cute kids AND a hubby with "wings"...amazing! I'm so excited to get to see what your up to next. hope to talk to you soon! luvy ~ randi

Mike and Adrianne said...

Congratulations! How exciting to be done with that part of your life.