Mario is a BIG deal in this house. HUGE. The end of any Mario game is beating Bowser- Mario's ultimate enemy who has always kidnapped Princess Peach and hidden her away in his castle. This level is always pretty tough (I say this like I know....which I don't really). I've watched Mike finish a Bowser level or two.
I feel like keeping up with our life is like a continuous Bowser level. There are always fireballs being thrown and you have to watch where you're stepping and you just hope the day (level) has a happy ending. It's not a bad thing- it's just that at any one moment we are doing at least 3 things- just like Mario in a Bowser level. It it more rewarding than finding Princess Peach.....most days.
We. Are. Busy.
There are many things I haven't even written about and sadly- I'm afraid I won't be able to remember them all.
But, the house is peaceful at the moment and I have a desire to capture us all right now- and so I will attempt to say what keeps us all so busy these days.
Mike:
He is busy from well before the sun comes up. Mike has been teaching early morning seminary for the youth at our church. He gets up at 4:45 a.m. every day and teaches seminary until 6:20. He either goes straight to work after that or comes home for an hour or two depending on his schedule. He works crazy hours and no two days are exactly alike. He has been known to get home from a late flight at 1:30 a.m. and he still is up at 4:45. This may not be a big deal for some but Mike isn't exactly a morning person. So far I haven't heard him grumble once about this early wake up.
When Mike is home he is still supremely helpful. Emma and Andrew would have him playing Mario so they can watch every one of his waking moments! He finds time to help with whatever I need (which is everything!) and let's me sleep in on the weekends. He's also perfected a rolled biscuit recipe- we had no idea he could cook!
Me:
I am 7 months into a 12 month commitment I made when Scott was born: breast milk for a year. NOT easy. Kudos to all those Mamas who do this for 12+ months with no problems. Of course I spend about 4 hours a day with my breast pump and it can be......annoying to say the least. HOWEVER, I am grateful to be on the downhill slope of this hill. I consider myself a breast milk expression and storage and expert at this point. If anyone ever needs to know anything about pumps, increasing or decreasing milk supply or storage of breast milk- I have the answer.
The other 20 hours of the day I spend feeding, cleaning, folding, washing, picking, putting, talking, disciplining, teaching, wiping, watching, cooking, printing, and cutting. I'm sure I missed a few -ing words. Home school some days may be the death of me because it feels like a shadow following me around until it's done for the day. I look forward to Friday like never before- no school on Friday! Mike's erratic schedule makes a school schedule difficult to make/keep since we never know when he will be home to spend time with. I lament because I wish we did more fun things and feel our school is just dry and basic. BUT- there typically isn't any complaining from the kids and I see progress in them so I guess it's okay. My desire is to be able to do more fun things- more art, more crafts, more field trips. I feel like I'm trying to get my grip about the basics still and make sure the reading writing and arithmetic get done. Truthfully that is about all I can handle. A baby on the move keeps me hopping and school work gets done with him either in his chair or in his bed asleep. I'm always conflicted as to what to get done during naptime- school, cleaning, or (heaven forbid) some exercise! They keep me hopping- that's for sure!
Because that paragraph wasn't long enough I've agreed to take over the position as director of our home school co-op in December. I know, it's crazy. Like I have time to volunteer as the director for a organization with 100 students. I need to go take a nap.
I've really been enjoying having Hillary here. I can't say enough how it's just great to always have another grown up around. This must be what people who work with other adults all day feel like. The biggest change is that I am never in my pajamas still when Mike gets home from work. With Hillary here I always have a chance to get dressed. We love our sister time together!
Emma:
Of course she is involved in all the -ing stuff from above. She is flying through her kindergarten work. She is well over half way done with her kindergarten math! She's up to real addition and it's very exciting to see new concepts click in her mind. She continues to love reading. She can be found more than once a day in our big chair with a book. She is getting ready to turn 6 (!!!!) next week! BIG party on Saturday here with a Mario theme. We're all very excited! Emma has been seeing an clinical social worker as part of asperger therapy and has had many other tests done by another psychologist in the office. We have seen GREAT improvement in her ability and desire to play with her peers- and especially her brother. To be completely honest the biggest changes I believe have come because of dietary restrictions. We've taken drinking milk out of her life and she is different as night at day. I can't believe the change we've seen in her since she stopped drinking milk. She is a different kid. We still have some issues- her temper is WAY too explosive for a sweet (almost) 6 year old girl and she is still WAY too irrational when it comes to things like changes in plans- but we're working on it.
Emma finished her soccer season and got her first trophy! Of course- all the kids got trophies in her age group. She left saying she couldn't wait to play soccer again next year.
Andrew:
Andrew's motto: If it's not fast, it's not fun. This kid is the flash. He recently announced now that he's tried Tae Kwon Do AND gymnastics he likes gymnastics better....ok! He has just about finished his first phonics book (explode the code series) and he couldn't be more pleased with himself. His favorite part of the school day is "journal time" when he gets to draw me a picture and tell me what it is about and I write what he has told me. Both kids already love to look back and "read" their journals. Andrew (of course) would like to be able to read as well as his sister and gets easily frustrated he can't do it "fast." He is a master bike rider. Mike actually went on a run of about 3 miles a couple weeks ago and Andrew kept up the entire ride! He has more stamina than the energizer bunny. His soccer season ended as well and he says he wants to play next year. He and Emma will get to be on the same team next year which he is excited about. We have some things to work on like not elbowing everyone you run next to or trying to clothesline people.....but he is excited to play and LOVES the playground where our soccer field is so it's a winning game.
Scott:
Oh our Scottie-too-hottie. He is fun! At 7 months old he is mobile now and so we are in full "game on" mode. He spends his day slinking around on the floor trying to get to anything that catches his eye. He has learned how to leave the family room and come find me. He has also learned about the fun noise the door stops make and he spends a good amount of time knocking them around! The kids have decided he's not quite as fun as he once was now that he can knock down their block towers and their Mom always always always is telling them to pick up toys. I know we should put a gate or two up but I've never had them up in my house and I don't really like making a room into a baby prison.....so I haven't done it yet. Of course, I've never had older kids with teeny tiny toys to choke on before either. For the time being we just pick up more often, vacuum more often, sweep and steam mop more often- to keep the place clean(er) for our little mover. He still doesn't sleep through the night and I just can't understand how people have those magic babies that sleep all night at 6 or 8 weeks. Truly- what does a girl have to do in a previous life to get one of those babies? Whatever it was- I didn't do it. He is getting better and better at sitting everyday and can actually almost get to a sitting position from crawling. He is a joy to watch grow!
SO- that's the cliffs notes version of what's going on here on Stamford Drive.
No comments:
Post a Comment