It's only right that I'm getting around to mentioning Father's Day here on my Blog a week late. That's about how efficient I am these days. A little less than 3 months since your baby brother was born and I fear I may never catch up to the speed of this hamster wheel again.
But, I would be doing very wrong by you if I did not mention Father's Day. It would be me saying (by saying nothing) that it wasn't/isn't important and that would be terrible. Because, the truth is there is nothing I have done for you yet that I am more proud of or pleased with than I am in the decision I made to marry your Dad. So far, he's the best thing I've got to offer to you.
Don't get me wrong, kids. I'm not saying he's perfect. Like, sometimes he loses my keys and then swears it wasn't him. And, every night when I get out of bed to take care of Scott I come back to him sleeping diagonally across the bed. And, just this weekend he taught you a terrible flipping game on the trampoline I cannot even watch because I'm afraid I will be a witness to one of you snapping something. (Moms never teach flipping games)
However, these imperfections....well, they're okay with me. They don't mount to a hill of beans next to all the wonderful he is to you. You are now only 5, 4 and 2 months old so you have no idea of the heinous awful people in the world. I hope it is many years until you realize what a scary place the world can be. You are so young you have no idea how blessed you are with a Dad at all, let alone a wonderful one! Your Dad works HARD. He works long hours and yet cannot wait to come home to your little faces. He has three metal rings with your names on them he wears on his dog tags when he flies. You are always near his heart. He plays the piano for you when you want to sing songs. He plays Batman with you and he has a REALLY good joker voice. He carries you to the car even though two of you are plenty old enough and able to walk there. He always shares his tubby toast with you. He bounces with you on the trampoline. He takes you swimming. When you wrestle, he lets you think you've taken him down. He bought life jackets just so he could take you out on the kayak. He hung swinging rings in the garage for you. He reads you stories. This week he took you shopping to help you pick a birthday present for me and he let you pick a card even though it's not the one he would have chosen. Today he let one of you wear an outfit that absolutely did not match when we went out because he saw how pleased you were that you had dressed yourself and neither of your clothing pieces were on backwards. He would move the Earth to make sure you kids have all you need, and really much of anything you want. He is good kids. One of the best. I've been around long enough to know this isn't the situation for all children in the world.
One of my wishes for you has always been that when you grow up you will look back and say "I had a good childhood. My parents were good to me." I know when I see you with your Dad this wish I have for you will come true. I love you to the moon and back and I know your Dad does too.
Always love your Daddy the way you do today. He deserves it.
Love,
Mommy
3 comments:
What a sweet letter! You always have the best posts!
bless your heart, it's late back there, hope you get to bed soon and get a good rest. Rae
Awww...I want Mike to be MY dad too!
Post a Comment