Thursday, November 4, 2010

Updates

I realize I haven't written much about how we're all doing...so this is my attempt at an "update."

Mike:

Working like a dog in Italy. Living in about 300 sq. feet in his hotel on the small base in Naples. He loves the flying in Italy and has been able to have a few adventures includint checking out some amazing old castles like this one:

We get to talk to him often which makes separation SO much easier. The kids love being able to see him on Skype and he's been able to have a little time with each of them "individually" which they love. Last Sunday Mike was speaking to Andrew for a while and they were just talking about silly 3 year old stuff. After a while Mike told Andrew "okay, let me talk to your sister for a bit, Buddy. Can you go get her?" Andrew said "wait I have one more question." Mike asked him what it was and he said "are you coming to our house soon?" Poor little guy. And, poor Daddy when he had to say "no, not for a while." Geeze, talk about rip your heart out. Mike works really hard and I'm so grateful for him.

Emma:
IS ALMOST 5. It's freaking me out a little. I can't believe 5 years ago I was pregnant with my little lady and had NO idea that November would be the month I became her Mama. She has chosen a butterfly (and other bugs) party for her 5th birthday and talked me into having it here at our house. She is almost impossible to say no to. She loves to have time to herself to play with her toys and has been doing really well in whatever school work I give her to do. She still doesn't love to write, but is willing to try a little more and as long as there is an eraser involved will try to write almost anything. I need to do a post just about our school work, but I'm not going to do that tonight. Depending on which reading "test" I use she reads at sometimes "end of kindergarten" sometimes first grade level. She is REALLY excited about the new baby and comes up with about 4 baby names to ask my opinion on every day. She's so sweet about it. Her favorite girl names are Brie and Elena and her favorite boy name is Michael. She is growing up way to fast for me. I love it and even though I'm with her 24 hours every day I feel like it's busting by me at lightening speed. She surprises me daily when she randomly says "I miss Daddy." It must be hard to be a kid with such a great Dad and miss him. She does it really well though.

Andrew:
is over 3 1/2 and not yet 25 lbs. He is the smallest, most energetic boy I know. He chooses writing his letters as his "fun work" when his school work pages are done. He loves to use scissors, markers and crayons and typically my table is covered in paper scraps or papers covered in letters. He is the most alphabet obsessed child alive. His favorite show currently is Leap Frog Letter Factory which he watches no less than 20 times a week. Most things he does have something to do with the alphabet and I think he has better handwriting than me. His helmet is a necessary accessory while we're outside because he rides his bike at lightning speed. He hit a bump this week and flipped right over the front of his handle bars. He rolled on the cement a couple times, stood up and shook his head and said "good thing I was wearing my helmet." He's getting a new balance bike for Christmas and I have a feeling he'll be riding on two wheels before his sister. He is (as usual) my greatest challenge and a CONSTANT reminder that I know absolutely nothing about motherhood and that I better keep going. He is a teacher of patience and the sweetest giver of kisses and hugs. I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Me:
Well, I'm trucking along with this baby. I'm 16 weeks tomorrow and I finally feel like time is flying by. When I was nauseated all the time I felt like every day lasted about 10 days but now I can't beleive we're at 16 weeks. I had a check up last week and have gained 1 lb so far and the baby had a good heart beat. I don't love sticking myself with a Lovenox injection every day but it feels like I'm doing something to help this babe cook longer so I keep sticking away. I have an appointment with a Maternal Fetal Medicine specialist tomorrow and I'm crossing my fingers I'll get lucky and they'll be able to see what the baby is. We're signed up for a four bedroom house and I'm hoping I don't have to pack us up and move by myself but excited to have more space before the babe is born. I'm really nervous and excited at the same time about going to Italy next month. I would go anywhere if I had the opportunity to visit Mike but it is exciting that he's in a really great place and that we'll get to go see Rome while we're there. I really miss my Sweetie and some days I wonder what the HECK I was thinking taking care of these kids every hour of the day while pregnant and some days I wonder how I could do anything else. I think for the first time with any of my kids a nesting bug has hit me because I've been putting stuff in our Goodwill pile like CRAZY. I've been filling up Mike's car with "get rid of stuff" and it's pretty full! I've never been so motivated to clean out and get rid of.

1 comment:

Tonia said...

It was fun to read what you guys have been up to. I'm glad your pregnancy seems to be going by more quickly and that you're feeling better. I'm still super envious that you're going to Italy. I'm going to be sick with envy when you get back and tell us all about your trip!

Andrew sounds like a grown up stuck in a tiny little body. He's probably such a challenge because he just has so much he needs to accomplish and he's excited to do everything - NOW!

Emma has great taste in names :) and it is so cute that she is so excited for the baby and I LOVE that she brings names to you every day - so sweet! K12 has a program called "handwriting without tears." We haven't done it a whole lot but when we have done it Isabella's attitude about writing has improved a ton! I don't know if you can get it without purchasing the entire language kit but I just wanted to let you know about it.