Saturday, July 17, 2010

Weekly review

Mike went back to work and for the most part we had a "normal" week. Well, my sister, her boyfriend and their questionable dog were here until Tuesday when we sent them off to find jobs and a place to live in Boston, MA. Ah, youth.....

When Mike was in Italy before he went out on the ship he spent all of his "allowance" on a Wii. Apparently life on a ship isn't quite as exciting as it sounds. I mean, when you're not working....I guess....I was a little skeptical but it is really really fun! The kids have even been able to figure out a couple of games and it has been a lot of fun for Mike and I too. Mario Party has been way more fun than it should be for two grown ups this week!

Friday night our good friends from Florida drove through and we had a fun time catching up with them, watching our kids run around together, eating and looking around in awe at how much has changed in the four years we've all been friends. We took them with us to the aquarium this morning and thanks to our membership and the kids free aquarium passes from the library summer reading program it was a free field trip!

The adjustment to Mike coming home was about non-existent. The kids acted like he was never gone. Sure, they loved having his undivided attention a little more and I probably could have dropped off the face of the Earth for a few days but there was never any weirdness. There was no emotional disconnect between them-it was like he had never left. It was great. The hardest adjustment for me has been to moving back to sharing a car. Oh how I loathe the constant coordination of time/place when you share a car. Spontaneous fun doesn't exist because you have to plan well in advance whether you will have the car. I forgot how old it was to me until I was doing it again and I'm looking very very very very very forward to the day we're done sharing. Very very very very forward to it. I think that another week or two and I'll remember that I was okay with it and it's not awful to share a car and we managed just fine but until then I'm coveting every car I see....even those darn minivans.

Here are some pictures from our week.

Laughing their heads off at a game of Wii bowling



Andrew showing off some of his silly faces



Showing off one of his famous "toy line ups." This boy spends a lot of time lining up his toys. He's also showing off the fact that he does not often wear pants.


Slip n slide fun outside- nothing better to do on a hot day than get wet.








Enjoying our aquarium membership. We got this for half price and we've already gotten our money back on the purchase! We're going to love it all year long!


Mike, JT, Jakob and Andrew- it's so fun to spend time with old friends!


Trying to get one of the sting rays to come up for a pet- when they get close Emma quickly takes her hand out of the water but Andrew is dying to pet one. He just doesn't hold still long enough for them to come up to him.


This is Emma's favorite tank at the aquarium- the jellyfish- she can't wait to get there every time we go.


Daddy telling the kids about hearing the ocean in big shells.


Andrew seizing the puddle after a short rain storm- no puddle should go unsplashed.

1 comment:

Tonia said...

How greeat that the adjustment went so well, I'm so happy for you guys! The aquarium looks fun and your kids just seem extra happy!