We read about America's Birthday and learned about what Independence Day was all about. Then, at 8 a.m. we stood with our hands over our hearts and listened to the Star Spangled Banner play over the speaker system here on base. I am grateful to hear our National Anthem every morning-I wish everyone everywhere in this country was listening to it every morning. The other day we were outside when it played and stopped and listened. Emma had her left hand over her heart and I whispered to her that she should put her right hand over her heart. She lifted her right hand and added it to the top of her left hand and said "I think I'll do both hands 'cause I really love America." It feels good to be raising a patriot. :)
We had our pancakes with red, white and blue sprinkles and then we were off to church. The kids loved picking out everyone who had some kind of American flag on their clothes and I loved how many people did show their colors!
We had previously made decorations for our birthday party for America and we sang Happy Birthday to America with our cupcakes frosted with fabulous cream cheese frosting. Even though America is really 234 years old we decided 2 candles would be enough- one for each of the kids to blow out. We sang, they blew and I loved the little memories made for them. There were no fireworks in our day but I think next year we'll have to go out and find some- we heard them popping and Emma asked to see them....and I felt lame for not taking them.
Overall it was a fabulous 4th. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't watching the clock for my hours to countdown 'til Mike comes home and I've been waiting for the 4th as my last hump before he does. 4th....DONE.
I am so grateful to live in America. In church we sang America the Beautiful and the words burned themselves deeper into my soul. The third verse in particular made the blood in my veins run warm with love and pride for this great land. I pray I am doing my duty to protect the liberty we've been given by men and women many of whom didn't live long enough to see their dream of a free nation fulfilled.
Oh Beautiful for heroes proved in liberating strife
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than strife
America America May God thy gold refine
Til all success be nobleness
And every gain divine
God Bless America!




5 comments:
I love that you had a bday party! Coolest Idea Ever!
You are such a good Mom!
I love that you have a birthday party for Independance Day! I will have to remember that when I have kids. How cute is it that Emma puts both hands over her heart!?!
I love that verse of the song, it is my favorite! And Emma is such a sweet girl! I remember reading about your birthday party last year & how I wanted to do the same but then I forgot. Next year!
Post a Comment