Call me corny, sappy, or just flat out weird but I think about things, perhaps maybe things most don't, I don't know. I think about June 24th, 1980, a day in which a little more good came into this world in the form a beautiful baby girl. Surely heaven looked down at this special child and longed for her return. I think about what I was doing that day. Was it like "Saturday's Warriors"? Did we know each other? I can't say for certain but I know on that night when I met you I felt a love that was somehow always present and that, as the song goes, "I loved you before I met you." On this day, your day, let me tell you what you mean to me.
Your heart swells with genuine love towards your family and friends. You've taught me charity and selflessness. I've never met anyone else who never thinks of themselves in the majority of their decisions. You are always thinking of others and I love you for that.
Your eyes are the only place in which I don't mind getting lost. I can still see them as we danced that first time. "Who was this girl?" I love how your eyes form perfect crescent moon shapes when you laugh.
Speaking of laughing, I love how the length and intensity of your laughing is directly proportional to your tiredness...one word..."Fuga." You taught me how to laugh. You've taught me how to loosen up and not to worry about the little things.
I love how independent you are. You fought for your education and didn't just talk about it, you went out and got it. Truth be told, I don't know if I could have done that being in your same situation. Where most people would stay in their comfortable bubble, you dared to get out and stay afloat and I admire that, truly.
I love how much you love the gospel. We have both grown so much spiritually over the last ten years as we have had many special, even sacred experiences. I sit in awe at times when we discuss spiritual maters and you bring up insights that I had never before considered. I love seeing the Spirit work within you. I have watched you strengthen your conviction of personal revelation and the power found therein.
I love how comfortable you make me feel. From the moment I met you, home ceased to be Maryland for me. You are my home. I do indeed feel incomplete without you. Whenever I have been unsure of myself or have wrestled with life decisions, you have always been there, constant and true.
Lastly, but certainly not least, in fact, I've saved the best for last; I love how wonderful of a mother you are. I remember, as a 18 year old kid, looking at you and thinking how great of a mother you would be. I've always dreamed about having a family, since I was young, I don't know, just something in me I guess. I've always wanted to be a Dad. So when I met you, not only was I instantly attracted to you but I quickly felt in my heart, and I mean this, that you would be an exceptional mother. You have exceeded that. Through trial and toil you brought our two special children into this world. I have seen you tirelessly print, cut, glue, fold, endless projects for them in addition to a plethora of other activities. You nurture them so naturally. I have no greater joy than to know that while I am so far away you are there with them, kneeling in prayer, teaching them of their worth and duty before God. Surely no greater calling can exist in this world than that of a mother for it is because of mothers we all came to be.
Brooke, I thank heaven each and every day for just knowing you. To call myself your husband and to share with you this life and more is, well, I couldn't ask for more.
Happy Birthday princess. Somewhere across the Atlantic is a kiss, sent from the Baltic on it's way to you. Look for it. I know your day will be filled with the usual routine of single parenthood but I hope you are afforded a time to relax as you well deserve. Thank you for your sacrifice. It does not go unnoticed.
Forever yours,
Mike
5 comments:
THAT IS SO SO SWEET, AND I AGREE WITH EVERY WORD, AND AM 1000% SURE Brooke FEELS THE SAME FOR THE LOVE OF HER LIFE,I love you both so very much and am so happy and privledged to have had the blessing of being your mother, and have mike for a son inlaw.
It took me a few sentences in to realize it was Mike writing the blog and I thought it seemed so out of character for you. I'm such a fool! That was such a sweet tribute to you. You really are an exceptional person, I look up to you and admire you much!
What a great way to surprise Brooke for her birthday! Happy birthday Brooke- you really are a great person- I'm so glad for blogs so I get to know you better.
Best Hacker message EVER!
Awwww...
I think he's a keeper, Brooke.
Post a Comment