Saturday, February 20, 2010

Bright spots in a not so bright spot

Dim spot:
I picked up my phone Friday morning and saw I missed a call from Mike....I was so sad. I don't get many calls from him- certainly no more than one a week- and I was sad to miss my chance to talk to him.

Bright spot:
We got to go to the mall and play with some friends from church and it was the first time since the stomach flu hit I felt like maybe the kids had all their energy back.


As we were walking to the car a couple of F-18 (how'd you like that, Babe?) flew over pretty low and were REALLY loud and both the kids were slightly traumatized but aside from that it was a really fun trip to the mall. Emma took down a whole slice of pizza from Sbarro in record time and that was the first "big" thing I've seen her eat in over a week so I was glad to see it.

Dim spot:
The car died on Friday afternoon on our way to dinner with dear friends.

D-I-E-D. Busy road, busy time of day, dead car....awesome.

Dim spot:
I had two kids who were "freezing" in the wind on the side of the road since I didn't think it was safe to stay sitting in the car considering where we broke down.

Bright spot:

I happened to have 2 beach sized towels in the car that served very well keeping the kidlets warm.

Bright spot:
A complete stranger towed me off the road and just happened to be a mechanic. He ran to his shop, and fiddled around with our car trying to get it to start and asked if I needed a ride or if there was anything else he could do for us. He was a very kind stranger and I am glad I have his business card so I can more appropriately thank him for his efforts when I am not on the phone with mechanics or towing services or friends begging for help.

Bright spot:
Our road side assistance has come in VERY handy over the last 5 weeks. We have certainly gotten our $'s worth out of it.

Dim spot:
The car arrived at the mechanic at 5:30 on Friday and they don't work again til Monday so I have to wait til then to hear the verdict on the repair needed- and how much it will cost.

Bright spot:
Our friends came to get us and aside from telling the story and joking about this "curse" of the deployed spouse we had a wonderful dinner and I even forgot the troubles swirling for a few hours.

Bright spot:
Mike called me again Friday night and we talked for longer than we have since he left. For some reason talking about the car trouble made it feel not as sad as it felt and just hearing his voice warmed the places in my soul that had been freezing only a few hours before.

Bright spot:
Friday night while I slept my dear neighbors who knew of my car plight put a car in my driveway with keys in it so I could take Emma to ballet this morning. I am deeply touched by the kindness of those around me.

Bright spot:
Our friends Jon and Jan came up today and we got to visit with them. Whenever they leave I always wished we were only 10 minutes from them instead of 90. Andrew and their little boy are so great together- they giggle, and fly planes around and look for the cat. I watched their boys while they went to lunch, which was really great. Their baby who is 6 months old is just as cuddly and sweet as he can be and I loved every second of it.

Bright spot:
I just realized today I don't need my camera cord to upload pictures- there is a slot in the side of our computer for memory cards- how cool is that?!

Bright spot:
It was 50 degrees today and it was GLORIOUS. The kids played in the mulch, colored with sidewalk chalk and I read my book and soaked in the vitamin D from the sun. Glorious.


Dim spot:
I wanted to dye my hair a warmer brown color- because I felt like it was a little mousy and the grey was getting a little obnoxious but I'm afraid it came out more black than brown and I'm also afraid I look a little like a Vampress. If people start wearing garlic around their necks around me I may have to pay to have it fixed- because I'm not sure it's good at all.

Bright spot:
I have a secret. It's pretty good too.

10 comments:

Samantha Fife said...

I love your blog posts! I can't wait to hear your secret. I always guess one thing, and it's what people always guess so I will keep my guess to myself! Glad to hear you got to talk to your sweetie :)

Erin said...

Wow- you've had a lot of car trouble. I'm glad you have so many nice friends to help you! I'm not looking forward to going grey and having to dye my hair... it seems like it's hard to make it look just right. My first guess is probably what the other person is guessing so I'll guess that Mike it coming home early?

Cassie said...

Oh Brooke! I'm so glad you are able to see so clearly the bright spots and blessings in your life!! I'm not sure I could be so positive if I were in your position...

I hope your "secret" is really something great and juicy! Those are the best kind (Mike coming home early, or a baby are the first things that come to mind...).

Kori said...

You seriously are my inspiration Brooke. If you can do it with your husband gone for weeks on end I can do it with a husband working 6 days/70+ hours a week and out of town for three of them. Thanks for being positive.

Shantommy said...

You're so creative. I can see that even though your car has not been nice to you, Heavenly Father certainly has. You have such a positive attitude! How funny, my guesses are the same as every one else!

Tonia said...

No fair! Another secret...You love leaving your friends in suspense huh?

I'm glad everyone is feeling back to normal and that you were able to have a nice long chat with Mike even though you missed his first call. I hope this is the last car trouble you have while Mike is away (or ever really because car problems really stink)!

The Giles Files said...

So sorry about all the crazy stuff that happens when hubby is away. But I am glad to hear that the kiddos are feeling better. Hopefully this week something uplifting will happen and erase all the bad juju.

As for the hair thing...as least the stuff in the box covers the greys. It is evidently not strong enough to cover my white hairs, so I actually have to pay someone to cover them professionally. Just not ready to do the natural grey/white look.

Adriane said...

Wow, crazy week. Thank goodness for awesome random strangers! How fun that you're near Jon and Jan; I didn't know that! Oh, and Sade actually asked me if I was a vampire after I got my hair dyed... I don't even think she knows what that is, lol!

ALYN said...

Torturing us with a secret... hmmmm...

BritCosplay said...

Wow! That is quite a lot of car trouble! I am so sorry! That is crummy. Your bright spots are really great! You have a lot of nice people surrounding you!