My son (God bless him) was potty trained for about 10 days and then one day and decided that he was just too busy to stop and poop in the toilet.
He won't do it.
And, at this point he's gotten himself so constipated and STILL holds it he "goes" about 15 times a day- like one deer pellet.
In his pants.
I clean up more poop now than I did when I had a newborn and a 16 month old.
Ugh.
NOTHING helps. Right now he really wants to dig in to the big bowl of Hershey Kisses sitting on the kitchen counter so I'm using it as leverage to poop. Although, he is still getting his token smartie for peeing. (he'll never let me stop giving him candy for peeing, ever)
In short this little messy problem is driving me CRAZY. Yesterday we went to play with our friends at about noon when Mike came home and since Andrew got up at 5 something I left him home to take a nap. And, I realized on the way I was GIDDY at the thought of being relinquished from poop duty for a couple of hours. Then, I had Young Women's to go to and in short Christmas carolling at the assisted living facility was therapy for me instead of the elderly.
I know he CAN do it, he just won't. And, I'm plum out of ways to inspire change in this child. We're locked each behind our line in the sand. The questions is not who will move first but when will he join me on the poop in the toilet side of the line.
Trying to focus on the stuff about him that makes me laugh...not cry

And, the other "stuff"
-I'm waiting for ONE Hanukkah gift to arrive. It BETTER get here before tomorrow morning at 10 a.m. Aside from the fact that I agonized for HOURS picking out the right one we're on our way out of town to among other things exchange gifts with the recipient of this gift....and it better get here.
-I've been having vertigo from the fabulous bone growth in my ear. Not all the time. Three times a week maybe but it isn't cool. It's effectively given me the fear of death of the treadmill since I'm terrified of falling off of it. I actually think I'm more scared of falling in front of people than I am of breaking my skull open.
The craziness runs deep people.
-The doctor gave me some medicine a bit ago that was supposed to help with this balance thing. I (for the last time) took the medicine without doing much research on it and stopped taking it because it doesn't help. I also felt like I was gaining weight and losing hair which I thought were in my head...maybe? Well, wouldn't you know when I looked up side effects of the medicine possible ones were: hair loss and weight gain. Wouldn't you know I gained 10 lbs and lost half my hair.
I get better looking by the minute.
-So, now I have the hair of a rat and I'm trying to decide whether to cut it off or not....I've never liked myself in short hair but I have to wear it up because you can see through it when it's down-it's so scraggly! And, while I'm not giving Andrew any Hershey kisses I too and staying away from them to try and lose my 10 lbs. And, I'm trying to decide what kind of club I should use to whack my doctor for not telling me these possibilities before I took a drug that didn't even help my vertigo- rather just made me chubby and bald.
-I've been waiting for my pictures from Snapfish to arrive so I could send out my Christmas cards and wouldn't you know they arrived with part of Mike and my heads chopped off- they already recieved their love letter from me today.
Well, I'm off to make some sense of this Thursday. There are children to bathe, laundry loads to fold, fat cells to shrink, dishes to load and unload, suitcases to pack, presents to wrap and Santa pictures to make.
8 comments:
We've done the constipation thing with 2 boys and Miralax is the answer! I've tried stool softeners, those things an aunt would stick in their bottom, BeneFiber and Miralax is absolutely the best. Worth the price. I never thought I'd him potty trained but after we got him unconstipated consistently he's been excellent! Good Luck.
Wow..it seems like life has been really great for you lately :) I hope you have a GREAT time this weekend and enjoy your little get away for at least a few hours!
You're hilarious. I'm sure that wasn't the point of your post but you made me laugh. I can't remember where I heard it but someone had this advice about potty training. Anytime the kid would poop in thier pants she would put them in the bath with COLD water and scrub. Sounds harsh but she only had to do it a couple times. I'm sure your hair isn't that bad, but I think you look cute with short hair.
Brooke, what am I going to do with you! You are so funny! Thank you for telling the truth about the "joy" of motherhood. Some days laughing is the only thing that keep me from going insane (and sometimes I just go insane anyway). Thanks for making me laugh.
Hey Brooke!
I totally had Andrew's little problem when I was little. Ask my mom!
It's called encopresis. It's weird there's a term for it. Not the constipation but the "holding it in" that causes the constipation. You can read about it. Sometimes making the stool soft helps but if it's a phsycological thing, like it was for me, that doesnt really help. Mine was caused by a bout a really bad constipation which caused a fear of having a BM which caused me to just hold it. I'm totally embarassed that you know this now, but talking with Andrew will help Im sure.
okay...so here is what I would do... now Jace was the same way...kind of.... He'd pee in the toilet all day long but did not like to go poop in the toilet....sooo he was potty-trained and not poopy trained. He'd hold it all day until Nap/bedtime...times when he was in a diaper, then he'd go. So we got to the point that he wore underwear all day long, but if he had to poop, he'd tell me he needed a diaper and he'd go in there. Its something...that way you dont have to go totally backwards, you can stick with where you're at with the potty and backtrack and try again later with the poop?
Bella did the same thing as Jace & wouldn't poop in the toilet until one day she was just ready. If you could convince him to poop in a diaper again it might help but I'm betting he won't go for that so I really have no suggestionss for you. As for all the other things, it sounds like life is dealing you a bunch of lemons lately. Big hugs! I hope things turn around for you soon.
haven't been reading blogs. But I love the story of the phone call to Mike. And I'm sorry about the pooping in the pants. Madi did that for several weeks after she potty trained, and I just had to stick her back in diapers, I couldn't stand it anymore, even though I'd been warned never to go back.
She just wouldn't cooperate. 4 months later, when she was in a more agreeable, less stubborn frame of mind, she potty trained for good.
Hope it goes better for you.
Post a Comment